portable DVD Players?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Graves, Aug 25, 2005.

1. John Graves

John Graves Agent

Feb 26, 2000
    Can any of you recommend a good portable DVD player? Most of the forum posts are nearly a year old. I'm currently looking at the Sony 10" (DV-PFX1021), the Samsung (DVD-L300), and the Toshiba 8.9"(SDP-2700). I've seen the Sony and Samsung in action, but not the Toshiba. Various posts on this and other forums raise concerns about the viewing angle of the Toshiba.

We'll be using this player while traveling, mostly two of us watching on airplanes and in airports, so viewing angle is important.

A notebook PC is not what we're looking for.
    Thanks in advance,
    John Graves
  2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Aug 20, 2004
    I bought the Toshiba 2600 last year to use for the kids on long road trips. I've also used it myself on the airplane. When seated close, the viewing angle can be narrow, however, once you adjust it, as long as you don't move around a lot it's fine. The kids sometimes complain and it's hard to adjust from the front seat for them (they're young) but they like it fine. It's not a problem for solo viewing on the plane as you can adjust the angle of the screen if you ever need to. Getting it right for two people I suspect could be a little more challenging, but I don't think it would be too bad.

On the plus side, the picture is fantastic. Really clear and bright. The speakers are terrible tho. It's fine with headphones and has two built in jacks. The battery is huge, but it does last long, nearly 4 hours I think.