What's new

Portable dvd players? (1 Viewer)

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
I do a lot of traveling and sometimes in my travels, I wish to see an old favorite movie or see a favorite program. Because of this I am investing in a portable dvd player. There are so many on the market. Anyone have any ideas as to which is the best one.

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Toshiba 2500 that I love. No problems, great pic, decent size. They are less expensive now than when I bought.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Picture quality can vary widely from brand to brand. A co-worker was interested in one of the cheap off-brand players on sale at Best Buy (can't remember the manufacturer now). Picture quality was horrible, and he passed.

I own a Toshiba 2500, which has a wonderful 9-inch picture.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The new brand at Best Buy is the Insignia. It sells at the same price point as the Polaroid, but looks a heck of a lot better. There is a 7" and 10.2" version of it, and they look remarkably similar to the Mintek players. I wonder who the OEM might be?;)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

The Mintek 7" has a much better picture than that of the Toshiba SD-1400 or the Polaroid PDV-0700. When was the last time you looked at them?

RomanSohor

Second Unit

Never seen or used a Mintek 7", I used to sell the 5" ones at Best Buy and in fact, watched a DVD on one last night (my brothers, I didn't feel like watching on my FP screen) and they're really bad, they cut off the sides of 16X9 movies, the picture is really crummy, the reds streak across the screen, if you cough near them they skip so badly you need to turn off and re insert the disc for the darn thing to recover....

And the Polaroid PDV-0700 wasn't so hot either, if I recall from my Best Buy days last winter

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Well when I Was selling them, BestBuy's "demo DVD" for the portables featured one scene from The Lion King (the fight) and when Simba and Scar are fighting in front of a screen full of fire, the screen basically became just a full-screen smear of orange. The Mintek was the only on that did that.

Plus, like I said the 5" model had a 4X3 screen, but it didn't letterbox 16X9 titles, it just cut them off at the sides, which on a 5" screen even some HT purists might have done with the zoom feature on their own, but still, freedom of choice, at least! In fact, if you zoomed out the picture to be 1/3 of its original size, you still didn't get the whole picture on yo screen, you just got a 1/3 size 4X3 cropped picture. I dont know what it does when hooked up to a TV

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
A Chinese company called Shinco makes many of the Initial, Mintek, GoVideo, Shinsonic and other portable DVD players. I have an Initial IDM-1731 7" widescreen and I really like it. Shinco also makes similar models in 8" and 10" screen sizes. Although the bigger screens may look better, battery life will be a little less and the cost higher. I much prefer a 7" to a 5".

Chris

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I also have the Toshiba SD-P2500, which is great. Excellent PQ, and nice slim size.

The current model is the SD-P2600, which looks like pretty much the same player, except it's cheaper and includes a car power adapter in the box (had to go buy one separately for the 2500).

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I have the 2600 and the picture is great. The only downside is the sound when using the equipped speakers. Even at full volume it's not very loud. Headphones are a must which wouldn't be an issue on the plane, but would be a pain if you wanted to watch in your hotel room. Along those same lines, the picture is best from a particular angle, so you can't move around too much. Again, not a problem on the plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks