Portable DVD player-suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leonard Gee, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Leonard Gee

Leonard Gee Auditioning

Please give me a recommendation for a portable DVD player -need something on vacation, and also easy to plug into a hometheater.

Thanks.

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Leonard: I owned a Panasonic LA-85 and I loved it. It is also a DVD-Audio player so you can even mess around with that if you want. Also, I think someone was selling one for a good price on the HTF Hardware for Sale forum too.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I saw the new Panasonic (I think it was panny) that comes without a monitor for around $299. VERY small, close to a portable CD player. Would be a great deal if you don't need a monitor while travelling.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    this topic has been discussed alot, but i still think buying a cheap-ish laptop is the way to go. better picture (arguably), bigger screen, no layer change pauses, you can store thousands of mp3s for music, and you get another computer! you can surf the net and/or play games when tired of a movie; it just gives you many more options. although the cost (of a new laptop) is higher than most quality portable dvd players, if you search around you can grab a used/older one for about the same price or less!

basically, it all depends on you. whatever makes you happy is right for you and you dont need me or anyone else telling you what that is. whatever you choose, let us know what you decide to go with!

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Thomas: Are you saying that you can get a laptop which will playback DVDs at a resolution at least as good as a portable for less than $600? If so, where can I find one to buy tonight!

WoW! I looked on Ebay and answered my own question.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

A couple of things to consider if you end up getting a laptop instead of portable:
    1. They tend to be a bit "sticky" if you want to connect your DVD video out to TV (I think that was one of your requirements), some does not work at all, some need a lot of tweaking, some produce poor results.
    2. Most, if not all, of the DVD capable laptops that I know do not provide a digital audio out, again, if you want to coonect your laptop to your home theater, it's a major handicap.
    Other than the above, I have no complaints about the capabilities of laptop dvds (I have 3 laptop DVDs myself), also, you should get a PII 400+ equivalent horsepower processor. BTW, I had desktop and laptop DVD players long before my HT setup, rather than messing around, I just brought a standalone DVD, they are cheap these days [​IMG].

7. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

I just posted a review of the Panasonic DVD-LV55 at my HT site.
    The LV-55 is an older model so perhaps they have improved things on the newer ones. In short I was not impressed.
    Brian G.

8. Mitchel Kagawa

Mitchel Kagawa Auditioning

"Fujitsu Biblo Loox T" the best of both worlds... If you can find one...

~Mitchel