What's new

Portable DVD player recommendations (mainly the Panasonic DVD-LA95) (1 Viewer)

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Has anyone seen the Toshiba in person? I saw it at the airport in one of those DVD rental stores. They had "Toy Story" playing and it did look better overall next to the Panasonic 9 inch that was right next to it, however it did have a strange image on some of the scenes in the background. It almost looked like the background image was like a negative image as far as the colors go. I did not spend to much time with it but would like to know if anyone has yet?

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, glad I saw this thread. I have been reading review after review and can't decide on the Samsung or the Toshiba. I plan on getting one of them, although I don't need one. :) I just need a new toy.

Mike Nolan

Auditioning
I just received the Toshiba SD-P2000 after researching the Samsung DVD-L100 and the Samsung DVD-L100 and the Panasonic DVD-LA95. I chose it because most reviews had said the picture looked best on the Toshiba SD-P2000 over the others, and the Toshiba is a progressive scan player.

The sound through the built in speakers is pretty bad, but I guess I expect that. I bought it for long trips, mainly by plane, so I am purchasing Noise Cancelling headphones to use with it.

I have not watched a whole movie on it yet. I am happy with it for the most part. The only drawback at this point is that I have not been able to find a way to play Non-anamorphic DVDs stretched to the full width of the screen. Since Non-anamorphic DVDs are actually a 4:3 image (with Black bars encoded as picture info), the player plays it back with Black bars on the sides. End result: A black bar frame around the entire picture. You can zoom in slightly, but not enough to stretch it all the way. I have read that the Panasonic DVD-LA95 is capable of a full width stretch, but it also suffers some irritating pixelization when doing so.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys,

I just noticed this thread. I picked up a Tosh 2000 in July. I am in love with it! I am using it for viewing on plane trips and as a portable player with PS output for doing calibrations.

FWIW,

Gregg

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I'll just update what I've done here because I have not visited this thread in quite some time. I bought the Samsung DVD-L100 (surprise, surprise :D ) at BB about 3 times. The first two times I got a unit with a "dead" pixel. On a small (yet big for it's class) screen, that can look like crap. The third unit I got was problem free as far as the screen went. But when the online sellers finally caught up with the B & M retailers, I ended up returning the third unit and saving $400 ordering it online. The only thing that pushed me over the edge in buying the Samsung over the Toshiba was the size of the screen. The Samsung has it's drawbacks: a totally lame brightness control that might as well not even be there, and the fact that it plays 4:3 material (i.e. Citizen Kane) to a stretched out widescreen, even though you can set Display to "Pan and Scan". There are absolutely no color controls on this unit but the progressive screen is bright. As usual, the built-in speakers are useless and sound like crap. I use external amplified speakers (the kind you use with a Walkman for indoor use) when I listen inside. Noise-cancelling headphones are next on my list. I take this unit everywhere, even Bally's Fitness, to listen to and watch concert dvd's while I'm doing cardio. For $741 delivered to my door, it's a great buy IMO.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
My first gen Panasonic L10 finally died. Won't play discs but I can still use it as a camcorder monitor.

Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on the Panasonic LV70. I don't need or want a huge screen. Just long battery life AND the ability to play DVD-RAM. Does the LV70 fit the bill?

DarrinH

Second Unit
Does anyone else have any input on the Toshiba SD-P2000 w.r.t. non-anamorphic DVD's? Can the unit stretch the picture to fill the screen with minimal resolution loss?

This seems like a good judgement point but they are very few non-anamorphic DVDs in my collection.

The MP3 compatability is nice.

I also take it that this comes with all of the cables?

The component out looks like a firewire plug?

Is that the digital out on the front?

Is the battery life really 3 hours?

Does it come with a power cable to plug it into home power?

Is the battery recharge cable included?

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
How long is the battery life on the Toshiba?

Also I think the prog scan on the Toshiba is only on the output, and not on the LCD screen... Correct?

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I have the Toshiba SDP2000.

Battery life with supplied battery is around 3hours.

(depends upon continuous play or if a lot of disc

operations are used).

The unit is fully progressive. Progressive DVD,

Progressive display.

What looks like a "digital out jack" in front is

actually the dark, clear plastic cover for the

remote sensor.

Switching 120VAC Power adapter is included, all cables

are included.

When configured for 16:9 mode (only) rather than

LCD (with is auto-detect for 4:3 or 16:9) 4:3 screens

are stretched but with some distortion, of course.

Impressions, the picture quality is farily good with

brightly lit scenes. But, the picture quality is

not nearly as good as the discontinued Toshiba SDP1000.

Plusses:

Progressive DVD and display.

LOTS of configurable options including adjustments for

brightness, contrast color.

Will play DVD-Audio 2-channel discs

Very dense Pixel spacing so the picture has a solid look.

Brightly lit colorful scenes look good.

Credit Card Remote.

Optional battery pack available for 5+ hours of playback

Avia tests:

Almost no pixel cropping

Resolution patterns are sharp

Y/C delay very good, quite accurate.

Minues:

Not very good contrast, this is noticed with a gray

screen when initailly booted up. Too much backlight

with "black" background leaks through.

Digtital artifacts on the screen with solid colors

the "steps" between the various shades can be seen.

Attempting to set the player by the Avia disc by

adjusting the color/tint via the blue bars results

in an oversatuated color picture leaning towards the

red.

The Navi-Menu for configuration is a bit of a pain

navigate.

Bulky battery fits under player (is secure though).

Avia:

Out of the box color not very good.

Some digital arifacts with solid colors and "ramping"

patterns.

Suggestions for better SDP2000 picture.

1. Turn down the color to -5 or -6 (regardless of

what Avia shows.

2. Turn down the contrast to between -7 and -4

3. Turn up the brightness (that's right) to +2

4. Set Tint to 0 or -1

5. Turn edge enhancement to OFF

Am looking to find a service manual to see if anything

can be done to improve color settings. Extreme settings

such as these bother me. The SDP-1000 has no color

adjustments and is near perfect out of the box.

Despite these shortcommings I still think the SDP2000

player outclasses the Samsung, all Panasonics, and every

other common, commercially available portable LCD/DVD.

For the best *picture*. The discontinued Toshiba SDP-1000

is absolutely amazing. The player has a relatively short

battery playback time and the ergnomics aren't the best

but right out of the box, the picture is simply gorgeous.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I've had my Toshiba P2000 for a little over a month and I love it. I agree with Paul's minuses above. I too would love to have the service manual if anyone finds it.

There is an upgraded model which debuted at CES. It has a much smaller battery that has a longer life and it acts as a stand to prop the back of the player up. The new model has speakers on the side and they supposedly put out a lot more sound than the 2000. Otherwise, all the same features as the 2000, and only $699 retail. Should be out in spring or summer.

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
For all you Toshiba portable LCD/DVD player fans
here's the scoop (with pictures)!
http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/news/jan..._portable.html
The new SD-p2500 will be disappointing to me if Toshiba
does not address the dark seent contrast issue and pixelization seen with solid colors. It appears that
the low volume output IS being addressed.
The SD-1200 looks pretty snappy.
Have fun!

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm a little late with my questions but can any of you update your situations with all of these different players? I'm on the prowl for a portable and I can't decide between the Samsung DVD-L100, Toshiba SD-P2000 or the Panasonic DVD-LA95. Although reading this thread the Panny seems like not the way to go. Has anyone heard anything else on the new Toshiba SD-P2500? Thanks guys!

Mike

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Although reading this thread the Panny seems like not the way to go.
Why do you say that? I get the opposite impression. In fact I did end up getting a Region Free/Copy Free Panasonic LA95. It has certain features I needed but most won't care about. Specifically, NO Chroma Bug, Auto and Manual Aspect Ratio control on its huge 9" screen, plays DVD-R, DVD-RAM, and DVD-RW, and its light! It literally took me 30 minutes of looking for the battery to realize that it was builtin to the hinge! There is nothing about this player I don't like. Don't expect HDTV PQ from a portable 'cause you won't get it. Although the old SP1000 did look pretty damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks