1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Portable DVD player extended warranty

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom McA, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the 5" Mintek DVD player. Very mediocre pic quality, but a steal at $169 for entertainment for the occasional long plane flight. I'm thinking about buying Best Buy's $79 4-year extended warranty. I know extended warranties are usually a sucker deal, (and yes, I realize the warranty is almost 50% of the actual cost of the thing...) but it seams that this cheap little player will most likely meet its demise in less than four years, and I stand a good chance of getting a new and possibly better player out of it, since Best Buy has a history (with me personally as well as with friends of mine) of replacing broken units with upgraded models.

Does anyone have any opinions or personal experience with this?

2. Erich_S

Erich_S Extra

I've done a similar thing, only I bought the service plan from Circuit City after exchanging my first Apex portable DVD player after it stopped working.

I know with electronics, the standard thought is: "If it's going to fail, it'll do so within the first 30 days." But if you're like me, you don't use the player all that much and the equivalent of 30 days worth of use of any other piece of equipment may take you months.

My DVD player died after 2 months and Circuit City was generous enough to exchange it for another one. After exchanging it, they offered the service plan and I accepted. After having my player for a few months, I'm glad to have the extra protection, especially after seeing one fail and seeing how fragile the Apex player seems during use.

If you don't get a service plan, I'd recommend using it as much as possible during the return/warranty period (even turning it on when you leave for work a few times or something) just to make sure you get through the 'burn-in' period that should uncover any failures.

-Erich