What's new

Portable DVD Player Battery prob (1 Viewer)

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
HI Gang.....long time;

Any thoughts on why my portable player's battery will not charge???

Is it possible that if you let the battery totally run down-you cannot recharge it?

Doesn't seem like this would be the case,and its an internal issue,but it did recharge when I first got it-but now it won't.

Player is a Toshiba 1200.

Just wanted to throw it out here before I send it in or whatever.

If I buy a new battery,and it won't recharge then its a circuit problem,and I wasted money on a new battery.

The original battery is not that old,and was never used very much-so it shouldn't be worn out.

Thanks
CC Rider

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
How are you charging the battery? I would assume that it is connected to the player when you are doing so. Is it a lithium battery? Running it all the way down usually will not destroy a battery like it used to on the old NICAD type. I really believe, based on your post, that it is a circuit problem. Unless the battery was abused it should charge. Did the battery get hot during charging? How about after use?

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest first you do totally run it down if its not already, then recharge it. Many batteries have "memory" and if not completely discharged before recharging will not function the full time it should.

(This should have been done when it was first new.)

You could send the battery in to Toshiba where it can be tested. Easier still is to take your battery to one of those commercial battery center franchises. I believe they have the capacity to test.

Make sure your connections are not visibly damaged.

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys;

Battery IS fully discharged,and will not recharge.

The unit only charges when it is plugged in,and the player is turned off-there's a light that tells it's charging,but no longer will the light come on.
Thats why I think it's a circuit problem too.

Pretty sure i'll have to send the whole unit (player and battery) back to Toshiba.

Was just wondering if anyone knew if leaving a rechargable battery drained for a couple of months ruins it?

Thanks again
CC

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I do know from my R/C hobby days that NiCad batteries have a memory, but I don't believe that Lithium ion or NiMH batteeries have memory. The manual for my portable says that the battery should NOT be left completely drained and should be stored with a bit of a charge left in it. Since the charging light is not coming on at all on your player it has to be either a completely "dead" battery or the charging circuit. You should also check the contacts on the batter where they plug into the player and see if you can see any damage.:frowning:

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chuck and all.

No problems with the battery contacts.

The player was pretty new,and wasn't used much-thats why i'm trying to figure out what went wrong.

Your manual brings up my possible theory that running the battery all the way down may "kill it".

Don't think that should be the case,but if it is so-then a replacement battery would get the player operating again.

Will check out furthur (and read my manual too).

Thanks
CC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks