Portable dish

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I have Dish network. I also have a house in Miami that we visit monthly so we don't have cable etc.. there. Can I buy a dish and take a reciever down when I go? How does that work? I have seen people tailgaiting with their sattelite befor so I know it has to work somehow.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can install a dish a your weekend home. When you get down there, connect your receiver to the cable(s) from the dish and to the TV. Turn the TV on and watch it.

How far do you live from Miami? You may or may not get local channels via satellite if your local spot beam doesn't cover the Miami area.

-Robert

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
We live in Jacksonville about 320 miles door to door. Where can I pickup a used dish? I really know nothing about how to do this.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A meter is not required. I've installed a few dishes using a TV sitting near the dish and the on-screen display.

Tools - Compass, drill, level, wrenches, screwdrivers, coax stripper, compression F-connectors, compression tool, wire cutters,

I installed the last two on facia boards at the edge of the roof. I made sure the base was vertical using the level. Drilled the holes and mounted it with a dab of silicone glue on each lag bolt (keeps the water out). Mount the pole to the base and make sure it is plumb. Mount the dish to the pole pointing in the general direction of the satellites. Since you will have a Dish500, you need to set your skew while on the ground. Connect the dish to the receiver. Start scanning the sky. When you get the dish pointed at the 110, satellite, tighten everything slightly. Check the 119 signal. You may have to adjust the skew slightly. Go back and forth until the signal strenth on 110 and 119 are both as high as possible. Unhook the cables and run them through the grounding block and to the interior of the house. Don't forget to run the wire from the grounding block to the ground rod.

At 320 miles, you may be out of range of the Jacksonville spot beam so locals may not come in. I know that my Memphis locals are available up to 200 miles away.

-Robert

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
It looks like the portable deal has everything I need. I like the portable design so you can take it tailgaiting.

aky2r5

Auditioning
Real Name
Alison
Hey just came across this post, I know the thread is a little outdated, but I just wanted to make sure that others know about other awesome portable tv options! DISH network now has a sling adapter out that links to any vip 722/722k reciever by usb, and it gives you the option to view tv anywhere you and your smartphone/ipad/computer may be. You can even watch and manage your DVR recordings. Its pretty awesome! I have experience with it since I do work with dish and thought I would just move along this info for anybody out there would loves their tv as much I do. Great for never missing any of your fav sports teams as well! More info about it can be found at dishnetwork.com. Just search slingbox.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riddhesh