Portable Compact DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Oct 6, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Has anyone seen this thing? Not really sure if it's worth asking as a Christmas present. But if it works as decently as I hope it will, it could come in really handy next May..
    It basically looks like a compact disc player, portable version of course, only with a DVD Video label on the front. It sold for about $130's.
    This would come in very handy when I get up at 1 AM next May, to wait on a cold, windy boardwalk for the radio shows yearly kickoff to summer concert/broadcast [​IMG]. Make those 5 hours of waiting for a good view point go by much quicker when I hook it up to my portable TV, heh.
    Thanks!

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Actually, that looks pretty damned close. But, how big is this thing? Is it small enough to be easilly portable? I was thinking of asking for one of those mini-laptop type setups that does nothing BUT plays DVD(I.E. looks like a laptop, but no laptop capabilities). But, I figured this thing would be a few hundred bucks cheaper, and not draw as much attention [​IMG]..

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    i saw it at futureshop today.. it looked pretty damned big though.. about 7 or 8 inches in diameter of the lid? It wouldnt be too portable. I havnt seen any other ones however that are as cheap as the sony

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

The "original" Sony no LCD portable was much smaller, but was $500. A couple years ago, Pioneer had one that's the size and weigh of a regular paperback (7" diagonal screen), VERY nice, but had a MSRP of $1500. It's no doubt considerably less now, but still far from cheap.

6. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Why not just get a small laptop? You can get a nice one with DVD drive for less than $ 500. It may not be as small, but is a helluva lot more versatile.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Less than 500$ huh? I thought they where still in the 1,000$ range for a good one... Hmm, may have to revise the Christmas list [​IMG].

8. Bryce

Bryce Stunt Coordinator

Here's one with a 5" LCD that's pretty cheap. However I don't know anything about the company that makes it.
    Initial Portable DVD player

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Well, I just installed my new 100GB 8MB Buffer Drive. So far, works flawlessly. 40 minutes to format, or so it seemed since I wasn't really watching the time, and another 40 to install Windows XP + other programs.

Sigh, wich also means I had to call Windows XP tech support again to recite that rediculous long number. Lady on the other end seemed to find it humorous that I repeated every number after she said it, I've been known to gravitate thought wise during long recitals, so this was to help keep me focused, heh. I really wish they could automate the whole process online....

Anyway, a question. I want to hook up my old maxtor as a slave, and the WD as a Master, so I can transfer data from one to the other. But there's a tiny problem. The jumper pinout is missing for the Dual(Slave) setting, so I was thinking of putting the maxter setting to Cable Select. If I do this, and it dosn't work, is there any danger of damaging the drives?

Thanks!

10. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

My friend got a portable DVD player for like $300over a year ago with 5" LCD screen at Circuit City. It was open-box and missing the instructions, plus had a rebate. There are some lesser brands on eBay for even less than that, brand new, right now.
    I'm sure you should be able to find a deal at least that good on eBay or even trying CC (which always seems to have the best open-box deals!) There are newer models with bigger and better screens, but this thing is just fine, and quite small (though the batteries tend to be a bit big.
    We flew to LA on vacation together and got through two movies on one charge and the quality of it was just fine. It's zoom feature wasn't the best under critical viewing, but wasn't distracting when watching a film.
    One thing about laptop vs. dedicated portable DVD player is the better life. Most laptops won't last very long on the battery spinning the drive all that time, while the dedicated ones will get 4-6hrs off of a single charge. And you don't need to boot them up. Of course, there's no free computer with it either. [​IMG]

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>
    One thing about laptop vs. dedicated portable DVD player is the better life. Most laptops won't last very long on the battery spinning the drive all that time, while the dedicated ones will get 4-6hrs off of a single charge. And you don't need to boot them up. Of course, there's no free computer with it either. >
    I've been debating on this issue for a while now. When Laptops really because popular, it was a new technology, and I wanted it no matter what [​IMG]. Now, however, I'm debating on how much use it'll get. We don't travel as much anymore. Our last major trip was probbaly Bermuda(Electricians convention of all things), and that was in 1998. It would have come in really handy then, as a week without checking email gets really overloaded.
    However, now that I'm basically land based for the time being, I think a Portable DVD player would get more use. I passed a few units in Target a week or two ago, and saw that they where marked down to about $300's, and considered it a good deal for a true widescreen unit [​IMG].