portable CD player recommendations?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Allan, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I am looking for recommendations for a new portable CD player. I have had two Panasonics that I really liked, but both broke relatively soon (less than 2 years each). So, I am looking for one that will last.

As for features: I absolutely need one with a radio buily in (that is why I really liked the Panasonic). Additionally, I need good skip protection (i.e., I could run with it). Ideally, the player would be on the smaller side and have a remote (on the headphone wire).

Again, most importantly, it must be built to last!

Thanks
    Allan

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I don't usually recommend Sony audio but this is one area they excel in. The Walkmans I've had lasted much longer than the Panasonics, stronger casing and better looks. Beware of the new Slim design players out there, they look great but their weak little amp inside makes the music sound like crap compared to a nice Walkman. Referring to a SlimX I tested.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I am considering the Sony D-FJ401, which can be had for about $90.00. I had a Panasonic from about 5 years ago, but it was hijacked (along with my Grado SR60) by my mom after she heard a hybrid SACD on it. Looked at the various Panasonics, Sonys, and Aiwas. This is probably your best bet. Even have TV tuner....you can listen to Dr. Phil while you jog. [​IMG]

Here's a link to an inside look of the Sony D-FJ401. And here's another link to what others think about it.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I've been using my Aiwa for more than 5 years, so they're a definite recommend.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ive had a 1st Gen sony CDWalkman (not DISCMAN) that has G-Shock anti-skip which does not use a buffer as an antiskip mechanism... it worked great, though the player was the entry-level one, it was a bit too flimsy for my taste. But at the time, the size was great, and it came wtih a remote. However, it has a fairly poor amp. If you turn it to max, it distorts easily even iwth good headphones, I find.

I have last years' models of one of PANASONIC's MP3CD players right now, and for the price back then (when MP3 CD players were only in their second year or so on the market) its great. Plays Mp3's flawlessly, great skip protection (this one uses buffer. I think its like 30 seconds for CD, and a couple minutes for MP3). Size is a bit more bulky than the sony one. The internal amp in it is weaker, but its better quality (does not distort under hihg volumes) than the sony. The new Pansonics I have not tried, but they look AWESOME. From the demos they feel very solid even for the thinner ones (this unfortunately cannot be said for the new SHOCKWAVE series. Those feel very flimsy wiht their overly-gimmicky opening mechanism. Take this with a grain of salt howeve,r i have not listened to the new pansonic ones.