What's new

Portable Air Conditioners. Does anyone own one? (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I'm looking at buying one, but not really sure how these work or if there are disavantages to the window AC's. I live in Alaska so air conditioners are rare but available. My windows open to the side (not sure the correct name for this), so AC's that sit on the ledge wont work. I'm seriously looking at buying an AC that I can move from room to room but I'm not sure how these work. My rooms are not that big so the range should be ok. Is there anything else that I should look out for? Thanks!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
A/C in Alaska? Hahah...When I grew up there, I don't even think I knew what A/C was...:)

Is your window one of those 24 x 35 sliders?

If so, Sears sells a window a/c that fit's those exactly..I bought one before we got new a/c in our house. It worked just fine and was easy to mount.

I think Consumer reports said those portable units are pretty crappy pverall and not worth the price.

If you must get a portable, Sam's Club had one for sale a while back..assuming you have a Sam's up there.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Hey, Alf. Alaska the same ol way. It just seems like it's getting hotter and hotter each summer! :thumbsdown:

I have the type of window that opens by turning and lever around in a circle. The window then opens outwards kinda like car door.

Yes we do have a Sams here and that is actually the last place I have checked for one. They want $300 for it, which i'm willing to pay, but if they are crappy then I'm not going to waste the money. I wonder what makes these type so crappy compared to regular ones?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I live in Oceanside (north of San Diego) near the coast but we need A/C from time to time. We bought one at Lowes last year that does the trick.

http://www.maytagair.com/units/m6p09d2a.asp

It has a hose similar to a dryer vent that connects to a 6" or so wide panel that sits in your side opening window to exhaust the hot air. We're pretty happy with the features...and it's on casters so it can be moved to another room easily if necessary.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Here's an online order option if a Costco is not close by.

Portable AC

Keep in mind Costco's inimitable return policy - lifetime (and also includes return of s & h).

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning

That thing is pretty sweet. I wonder how it would perform in a garage with the doors closed? I play alot of poker in my garage and it gets hot as hell down here in Bama!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I bought one from Sears a few years ago (Danby?). It was horrible - made no difference whatsoever even when I wrapped the hose in insulation. Waste of money. Too be fair though, it was only good for a very small room. Not good enough for a living room.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I bought one for $700 and really should have returned it but didn't.

Reason I don't like it:

1.When it's hot, it really isn't all that great. Just doesn't cool enough even for a small room. Feels good if you stand in front of it or if it's been on for hours, but when you really do need, it's not as reliable as you might think.

2. You have to attach the exhaust to a window. It does come with this thing so your window can close on it creating a seal so the hot air won't come back in. Problem? If I need to use it at night, I have to go to sleep worrying that my window is not locked.

3. The one I have is heavy so if you have carpet floor, the wheel don't roll well, so it's only semiportable.

4. High energy bill for little cooling.

In conclusion, I wouldn't even consider a $300 one if I'm not happy with a $700 one.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hey! Where were all of you when I was looking for advice?!? :)

I've been happy with mine. I only need it to cool off my bedroom to a sleep conducive temperature and that usually means running it for a couple hours. Does the job, at least where I live. Not sure how it would do if my demands were greater.

My chief complaint is the sucker is loud, but it doesn't necessarily stop me from falling asleep.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Reason I don't like:

5) Too loud. :D

On the other hand, if you have a baby, they love the hum.

Did you ask in the summer ;)?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Mark,
My wife and I picked up a Bonaire portable evaporative cooler this summer to cool down our bedroom at night. It works pretty well, but it can be kinda loud, especially if you crank it. You also have to keep the filter clean or it starts to stink. I usually soak it in a sink full of water with some bleech and it takes the smell right out. Cost us $200 at Home Depot. It's not the perfect cooling device, but it works fairly well.

Bonaire Link

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
They also make a vertical air conditioner that is about 1/2 the width of a normal air conditioner, abd about twice as tall. I don't know if that would work for your application, but try a search on Google for vertical air conditioner, and lots of results will come up. They are more expensive than there horizontal counterparts, but the same principle.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Ok thanks everyone for the help and advice. A lot of you mentioned the AC's being loud. Would these be any louder than fans on full blast? Since Dustin said they need an exhaust, this changes things. I have screen doors on my windows that are a PAIN put in and take out. And I can see insects coming in easily while I have the screens off too. Hmmmm, maybe you guys just saved me $300-$400 dollars.

So, my next question is, are those vertical fans any better than regular ones? I'm thinking this may be my route. I figure I can buy 3 or 4 of these and be almost as cool for a lot less.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
BTW Mark, that would be a casement window you're referring to...

...and no, I unfortunately have nothing useful to offer in the A/C department, but I have window types covered.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Mark, you don't have to take the screen off. You close the window against the exhaust so it stay in place. On mine, the exhaust can get really hot. I just hate putting it up, taking it down, ect.

Fan these days are pretty quiet even at full blast but the sound is different. it's a consistent engine kind of hum.

Buy it and try it out and if you're not happy with it, return it.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

Actually, I gave up bringing out that AC from my closet (energy bill, the weight, dealing with the exhaust). Instead, I find creative ways to use multiple fans for cooling. (e.g., during the evenings, I route hot air out of one window and bring in cool air from another.)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
They can be fairly loud - the one I had was loud enough that you need to raise your voice to be heard by anyone. :)

The best solution I have right now is to use those in-window fans - they rock! If you have sliding windows they fit in snugly and you can set them to exhaust the air or bring in fresh air. In a two story house you can put one in the upstairs bedroom set to exhaust, and open a window on the bottom floor - works better than a (smallish) air conditioner, as the whole house can be kept cool.

E

Eric Kahn

the fan idea is great unless it is about 90 degrees with high humidity at night, as we had for about 2 weeks here, I have a window unit in my bedroom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks