Port Workers lockout could affect Star Wars Ep.2 DVD release?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William R, Oct 28, 2002.

1. William R

William R Agent

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Wasn't the strike ended? Sorry haven't really been following it.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That would be the dock workers strike, NOT the post office. Even if the post office struck, it wouldn't matter because UPS or company tractor trailers bring stock

Even tho it's resolved, there are lots of ships waiting to be unloaded

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Also there was no strike, it was a lockout.

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    It could still affect things all the way through Christmas. A lot of merchandise was parked off shore for several days. They have to off load that, plus whats coming in now. It may take a while to get caught up.

7. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

My apologies in advance if I get too political here, but this is a deeply personal issue for me and my family. It wasn't a strike. I know, I'm a longshoremen and I was locked out by my employer. The difference may seem trivial to some, but it is very hurtful to me to constantly have it portrayed as a strike when I was ready and willing to work only to be told that I wasn't needed, as were all of my co-workers. Both sides can do a lot of finger pointing, but the bottom line is that it was a lock-out, not a strike.
    If it's not too much trouble, could the moderators please change the title to "Port Workers Lockout..."
    Back on topic, It's doubtful that the large retailers will have any problems stocking any big title DVD's. The small local retailers could have big problems though, and that is actually partly by design of big retailers like Wal-Mart. Some major retailers are part of a group called the West Coast Waterfront Coalition, which includes Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, and others. They are tightly connected to the employers, Walmart actually has a position on the employer's steering committee. These retailers were actually a driving force behind the lockout, and have been actively pushing for it for some time. Walmart, began storing thousands of containers full of product in the parking lots of their stores months in advance in preparation for the lockout. They also receive priority status on their containers so that their containers are the first ones off the ship, and immediately available for pick up. So Walmart can get its containers within hours of a ship's arrival, while small businesses may have to wait days or even weeks. It's a double bonus for Walmart, they are partly behind the lockout, created the log-jam, but also are prepared to weather it while their smaller competitors who have nothing to do with it suffer. The same goes for Target, Best Buy, etc.
    If you are at all sympathetic to Union workers or small businesses that are fighting for survival against the corporate giants, you should really think first before shopping at Walmart. But it's a free country.
    You can read more about all of this at Friends of Labor
    Brennan

8. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

You don't need to tell me to not shop at Walmart. Consider it done.[​IMG]

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Again, please note the crisis here on the West Coast was in the form of a lockout of the longshoremen. They are not on strike.

Please avoid personal political commentary in this thread. Thank you.

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Christ: That was a general advisory. JB

12. William R

William R Agent

I'm sorry about the old title of this thread I started, the article posted on theforce.net that I first read had the word 'strike' in its title but I noticed theforce.net has recently removed the word strike and replaced it with lockout. I was just passing along what I had read on the force.net.

13. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. And William no offense taken, very common oversight.

And again, I personally don't think that the major retailers will have any problem getting DVD's. Also, the employers were ordered by the government to open the doors for 80 days, which expires on December 27th. So that takes us through all of the major DVD releases that I can think of off the top of my head. Congress is also proposing legislation to extend that another 30 days so they can recess for the holidays and deal with it during their next session.

Brennan