Port & T-nut question....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cam McFarland, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Plan calls for 11" flared port.

This means that from outside of flare, to outside of flare,
    is 12", correct??

Also....how bad of idea is it to put T-nut into back
    of the MDF holding driver, or is this OK?

2. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I can't address your port length flare correction issue, but in any case, 1" of difference is likely not going to be very audible, if at all. You could split the difference and go with 11.5". [​IMG]

As for the T-nuts, I believe they are a poor choice for MDF, and hurricane nuts would be better. I have never used either, myself, so I am just basing this of what I've read on the various speaker building forums such as Madisound or Parts Express.

Aaron Gilbert

3. Dan_M

Dan_M Agent

I used PE#081-425 screws to hold my port and driver in with no problems. I've even backed them out and reinstalled things a few times withough stripping out the holes. Just be sure to pre-drill.

4. Cam McFarland

Aaron.....I was wondering if the inside tube is supposed to be 11", plus the length of the flares (aprrox. 5") for total overall length of 16"...or is overall length 11"???

It said somewhere that overall length was 1" longer than
    plan calls for the port length. Plan calls for 11" port length...ergo 12" overall???

I am so confused..........lmao, story of my life.

Actually, they are hurricane nuts. I was only asking as some
    people glue wood behinfd the MDF to put the hurricane nuts in, instead of straight into the MDF.

5. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Cam,

Oh ok sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, you do need to add the flare lengths in the total length of the port. So if you need an overall length of 16", and your flares together are 5" long, the center section will be 11". Thus, the shortest port length you could make with those flares would be 5".

I don't think it'd be a bad idea at all to glue some hardwood behind the driver mounting holes into which you insert your hurricane nuts. I just used screws to mount my driver, but did the same, glued little blocks of oak behind all my screwholes for more holding power.

Aaron Gilbert

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you need 11" of straight port, then you need 12" of length of flared port from end-to-end (7" center section). The instruction tell you to add 1" to the overall desired length of a straight port when using a flared port.

As far as t-nuts go, I laminate (i.e. glue) a 1/4" thick piece of plywood where the screw holes will go. You can either glue a bunch of small plywood squares at each screw hole location, then drill the holes, or laminate the plywood to the inside of the MDF before cutting the hole for the driver, and drilling the screw holes.

My subwoofer pages show photos of how I install the t-nuts. I also put a little glue in between the wood and t-nuts before hammering them into place. Then I let it dry before screwing in the driver.

7. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

Cam,
    Are you not making the AA box. That's what i'm in the process of making. On the Adire PDF, it states to use a pair of FP3 three inch flared port kits ( which i have) with 11" long center tubes. They come with 12" tubes. So i was told by BOB at CSS to cut tubes to 11". This is the way i understand it from the Adire PDF. I'm assembling mine this weekend so someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

8. Cam McFarland

Actually, the plan states "2-11" flared portts".....

What does this mean?

1.(11" inches overall..."flare end to flare end = 11")

or

2.("flared end + 11" straight peice + flared end" for total overall length of ~16".)

Sorry about all the posts yesterday & using all the
    bandwidth.....just want to do it right.

9. Cam McFarland

Actually, the plan states "2-11" flared portts".....

What does this mean?

1.(11" inches overall..."flare end to flare end = 11")

or

2.("flared end + 11" straight peice + flared end" for total overall length of ~16".)

Sorry about all the posts yesterday & using all the
    bandwidth.....just want to do it right.

10. Curt Badry

Cam
    I contacted Adire via e-mail about the port question. I purchased the FP3 port kits. They told me to cut 1" off the center sections which would make them 11".Total port length would be 17" for each port.

11. Curt Badry

Cam
    I contacted Adire via e-mail about the port question. I purchased the FP3 port kits. They told me to cut 1" off the center sections which would make them 11".Total port length would be 17" for each port.

12. Cam McFarland

Thanks Curt....yep, after your initial post, I went back
    & read the instructions (shhhh, dont tell anybody [​IMG] )

I had already cut 1" off, only need a few screws to hold ports in & I am ready to assemble.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get my 7200
    to work...... [​IMG]

13. Cam McFarland

Thanks Curt....yep, after your initial post, I went back
    & read the instructions (shhhh, dont tell anybody [​IMG] )

I had already cut 1" off, only need a few screws to hold ports in & I am ready to assemble.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get my 7200
    to work...... [​IMG]