Port Problems with Dayton DVC 12" Enclosure Design

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Massey, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Eric Massey

Eric Massey Agent

Hello, I am working on a design for a vented Dayton DVC 12" enclosure that I plan on building over the holidays. I'm planning on a volume of around 4 cubic feet and a tuning frequency of about 22 hz.

Using WinISD for modeling, it seems that using a single 4" x 14.22" port will generate excessive "port noise" (vent mach indicates .17). To correct this, I tried using two 3" x 17.1" ports instead, and the vent mach was acceptably reduced to .08.

My question: Is there any disadvantage to using a pair of narrower, longer 3" ports rather than a single wider and shorter 4" port? I am worried since most of the DIY designs I look at seem to only use a single port. Does anyone with experience with the Dayton DVC have reccomendations for enclosure designs or know of any websites that have specifications for good designs for this woofer?

Thank you for your time.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Either option will work fine. If the ends weren't flared you could have problems, but flared you should be fine.

3. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

I helped my cousin build a 12" DVC in the 3 cu ft Titanic enclosure. We assembled a 24" x 4" port using the PE 4" flared port kit and two (count 'em, TWO) PVC pipe elbows. It was the only way we could get a 24" port into a 18" cube with a huge center brace.

It sounds very good, and we haven't noticed any port noise at VERY high volumes. Of course, the port is on the bottom facing the floor, which would hide some port noise. I think you will be fine with a single flared 4" port, unless you are running 5-600 watts.

Peter

4. Eric Massey

Eric Massey Agent

I've got a quick question which I couldn't find the answer to by utilizing the search function or any online FAQ's.

I'm designing a ported enclosure for a Dayton Titanic mk II 12". To aid in this project, I'm using a combination of WinISD and the online white paper for the titanic. Referring to the provided enclosure designs, the titanic's white paper states:

Will using Flared ports have an effect on the tuning frequency as opposed to straight ports? Is there anyway to take into account the difference in port volume the flares will add? Thank you for your help!

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Eric,

IIRC, it is recommended to add 1" to the total port length when going from unflared to the flared ports that PE sells.

6. Eric Massey

Eric Massey Agent

Thanks for the help Brian! As you correctly guessed, I do plan on using the flared ports from partsexpress.com. I'll be sure and add an extra inch to my port length when I'm building my sub.

*Note to Admin: I probably should've integrated this topic into a similair thread that I posed yesterday but I was too eager to get a quick response. Feel free to merge the two threads if you deem it appropriate. I apologize for my selfishness.

7. Eric Massey

Eric Massey Agent

Thank you both for the insightful replies. In any event, I've decided to change drivers to the Dayton Titanic Mk II. The Titanic appears to have a lower vent mach using the single 4" port, has a longer throw, and overall looks like a more durable sub (rubber surround, cast frame).

I'm planning on a 4.83 cubic ft. enclosure with a single 4" x 16.2" Partsexpress flared ported tuned to about 19.5 hz. Hopefully it won't be too tough, although I've only done sealed enclosures up to now (it's just an extra hole, right?). Thanks again!