What's new

Port Noise (1 Viewer)

michael-e

Agent
winisd/lots of people says keep it below 5% of speed of sound-

i know lots of ppl in this forum have attempted to cram in small ports into low tuned boxes,so some one will have a beter number

Because my port is designed for this,i can only comfirm my jbl has very low airspeed,which isnt any help to you.

several of car audio guys have said to me there sub sounds fine-and its doin 20m/s calculated...

i know a guy who compared a box non flared vs flared,his airspeed was modeled as 30m/s + but he said it sounded fine flared,,

although saying' people say it sounds fine' isnt that objective :frowning:

my 2 cents

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Some manufacturers state that flares can add up to 3db higher output by raising the point of where port noise is audible. That can be simulated in the program by cutting the max wattage in half.

The sims are usually show an allowable limit and your limit for port airspeed. I find them to be worst case scenario. Mostly cause the airspeed usaully only goes too high at max output. If your like me I very rarely play my HT/music that high. Also, It won't really chuff on anything but program material that is around tuning(abou22hz-16hz) so do to lack of material most of the time you'll never reach that point unless your playing something sustained like sinewaves at tuning.

Port airspeed would probably be more of a concern in car audio aplications where the tuning point is much higher and smack in the bandwidth of most music material. But do to high spl most people listen to in the car, inaudible:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks