What's new

Port noise with my PB10! (1 Viewer)

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Mikey,

According to Ed, an SVS PB2/Ultra2 would give me the same uncompressed output compared to 4 co-located PB-10's but with higher distortion levels.

So if I went with a PB2/+2 subwoofer, it would be a step down. And a 20-39 PC+ (or 25-31 PC+) is not as powerful as duel PB-10's.

I don't know; 4 PB-10's seems like the ideal subwoofer system to me, and I have the space for them too.

Jack,

I could be wrong on this, but it seems to me that almost everytime you talk to me you are talking down to me as if I'm stupid. I don't like that.

Please don't do that.

--Sincerely,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'll work on it...perhaps we could find some middle ground.

By the way, that that link clears up a lot of confusion on reflex operation. It's still the cheapest sub in the line in a big room if I recall, so you're not seeing anything unexpected in all the threads you start about it.

rob-h

Second Unit
I was going the quad pb10 route myself until recently. I already have 2 colocated. After speaking to SVS, I now intend to keep the 2 current pb10's and add a pb12-plus/+2. That should come out to approximately the output of 5 pb10's. 4 pb10's would be ideal as far as space goes though. I will have to remove the base and put the pb12-plus/+2 on its side so it fits under my screen. This thread reminds me that I am a month over due on ordering it..............being busy sucks.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Cool rob-h. What size room do you have again? What is your ideal listening level?

Don't you feel that two co-located pb10's give you enough output? And lastly, have you tried out the water explosion scene in Revolutions?

I just would like to find out from you if you also heard any port noise on that scene.

Thanks.

--Sincerely,

rob-h

Second Unit
My room is 12 x 21 x 8. If I cal to the front seats, where the listners ears are about 13ft away, I have not heard port noise on any scenes. If I cal the subs to the rear row of seats (this was the only row of seats for a while) I do get port noise on a lot of scenes. This is obviously because the level is much higher to get the 75db in the back of the room. I just recently bought the Matrix triligoy (I always considered it boring but I needed some new movies as things have been a bit dry lately)but have not watched Revoloutions in my main theater room yet. I have only watched it on my bedroom system where I do not have a pb10 in there yet.

Since I am just about to start yet another theater room "upgrade", I will try to watch it before I shut everything down for a while. I am putting in new lighting, moving my rear qs8's to be side surrounds to the front row, an external amp to drive all the side sourounds, adding 2 axiom 2ti's for rears (replacing the qs8's that are there now),adding another center so that I have 2 next to each other above my screen, adding an external amp for the center's, rebuilding the rear platform, and at the end the new sub. Since I have no time right now, it will be fun to see how this is going to get done.

As far a 2 being enough, bass is subjective. 2 of them do shake all my seats fairly well. The fronts are not nearly as active as the rears though. I recently reconncted my bass shaker amps and actually considered not getting the new sub. Then I watched the original jurrasic park from both rows. The roars could be felt in my chest at the front row, while the back seats move a lot, that kind of response is not felt in your body. Kind of made my mind up there.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

We can quantify this with calibration and master volume settings (relative to Dolby Reference Level). Beyond that, preferred playback levels are indeed very subjective.

Vaughan likes to listen somewhere around -10 to -7 relative to Dolby Reference Level. In his size room, at that distance from the subs, he'll need four PB10-ISD to make it happen and be completely free of compression or artifacts.

Most people underestimate the amount of both speaker and subwoofer required to cleanly make DRL. Jack has a very small room (1400 ft3) and he required dual PB12-Ultra. My room is hardly bigger at 1800 ft3 and I use dual Ultra/2. Granted, they aren't working hard most of the time, but that's the point - the capability is there when you need it.

Vaughan, at least initially you will notice a big difference in bass dynamics each time you add another 6 dB of headroom - even at the same overall calibration level.

When you stop noticing an improvement, then you can stop adding subs. Keep the last one anyway, so you can rest content with the knowledge you have slightly overkilled your bass requirements. :)

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
You read my mind, Ed. Four co-located pb10's. I can hardly wait.

But I must say, I am getting obsessed with power compression (and dynamic compression). Whether it's the same thing or not, I don't know and I don't care.:)

But in my case I have a lot of upgrading to do. I think it must suck to know that you already have all the power at your disposal. Especially in your case. I mean, when you don't have the gas available, it makes it all the more fun to upgrade.

The only upgrade path for you would be an IB or a dipole, I think. In fact, I would love to go for an IB too when I have a place of my own. My parents think I'm nuts to go for another sub.

Heh. The thing is, there is no possible way for me to sell these things. Even if I wanted to. There would be no market for them. In South Africa, about 99% of people have never heard of SVS.:D

Now, if I go for an IB, then I would most likely use each pb10 to augment the rest of the system (center channel, left and right, and somehow augment the surround speakers too.)

That would be THE ideal to me. I don't know if you've read the article where the author explains how much bass is present in the main channels besides the .1 channel?

He goes on to say that when all the channels are supported with subwoofers, bass literally moves around the room, from the back to the front, and vice-versa.

Sounds interesting to me.

--Sincerely,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks