Port location -- effects on sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Sander, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

I am no audiophile, but I have been doing a lot of reasearch to get into a quality system that sounds good in my room.

Instead of getting in-wall speakers, I feel that my money is better spent on building a niche in my wall and placing a bookshelf speaker inside the niche and then just making some sort of framed grill covering over the hole in the wall.

My question is: The niche will be about HxWxD 13x9x??.

How deep should it be?

If I get a rear ported speaker, will the sound get boomy because it is in the enclosed niche?

Should I instead look for front ported or no port (do they exist) speakers?

Thanks for your help.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

3. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

I have listened to SpeakerCraft, PSB and Definitive Technology in-wall speakers.

I don't think that in-walls all sound bad. Its just seems that I have to spend about $600-800 for in-wall speakers that sound as good as $400 bookshelf speakers.

I'm now thinking about the Def Tech Studio Monitor 350 or 450, or the Paradigm Reference Studio 20.

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Klipsch makes some really nice in wall speakers called the "contractor" line, available with Synergy or Reference drivers.

5. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    The niche idea is fine, but don't get a rear ported speakers - there are front ported speakers that will eliminate any port issues.
    Some speakers have Port plugs, but i would think that this is a workaround, not a solution.
    Speaker list
    http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSeries.html#Image1B
    Take it easy
    Paul