What's new

Port Length (1 Viewer)

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
If I were to build a ported tempest in a 142L enclosure, how long would, and how big would I want to make my ports? I do not want to spend money of flared vent kit, and I definetly don't want any wind noise. What tunning frequency should I am for? What would be the best port diameter?

Thanks very much,

Will.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Frankly, if the sim is to be believed (and FWIW I believe it ;)), you're better off leaving it sealed at this Vb, so no vent noise. :) There really is no viable tuning frequency with a low vent mach without using a PR and you're only losing a couple of dB down really low where your hearing acuity can't tell the difference. Also, transient response will be better, though I can't say how audible it may be.
GM

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I would have to agree with Greg here. Just plugging the Tempest specs into ISD online you would need to tune your port to maybe 15Hz or so to avoid boomy-ness (a wide hump just before the low-end rolloff). But, then you are looking at a longer port. On top of that, your rolloff begins to look a lot like a sealed box anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug2000
Recent bookmarks