1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Port Length

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Pomeroy, May 15, 2002.

1. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

If I were to build a ported tempest in a 142L enclosure, how long would, and how big would I want to make my ports? I do not want to spend money of flared vent kit, and I definetly don't want any wind noise. What tunning frequency should I am for? What would be the best port diameter?

Thanks very much,

Will.

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Frankly, if the sim is to be believed (and FWIW I believe it [​IMG]), you're better off leaving it sealed at this Vb, so no vent noise. [​IMG] There really is no viable tuning frequency with a low vent mach without using a PR and you're only losing a couple of dB down really low where your hearing acuity can't tell the difference. Also, transient response will be better, though I can't say how audible it may be.
    GM

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I would have to agree with Greg here. Just plugging the Tempest specs into ISD online you would need to tune your port to maybe 15Hz or so to avoid boomy-ness (a wide hump just before the low-end rolloff). But, then you are looking at a longer port. On top of that, your rolloff begins to look a lot like a sealed box anyway.