Port facing front or back? SVS PB1-ISD?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Nick Laho, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Nick Laho

Nick Laho Extra

Hi. I ordered a SVS Pb1-ISD about a week ago and before it arrives I would like to ask a question for anyone who has an opinion.
    What direction should I place the sub, with the port facing the corner or out into the room? Will it affect output or is it more of a preferance thing? I'd like to be able to have the controls be facing the front for easy access, but if I get better output with the sub the other way it wouldn't matter much to me. Any thoughts?

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Port facing the corner might give you a bit more reinforcement down low. Once the controls are adjusted/set, usually there isn't much fiddling back there (unless you are a terminal tweaker).

3. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

I have my PB1 with the controls and port facing the wall, for aesthetic reasons and performance. It looks cleaner in my living room to have the controls in the back, and I haven't touched them since the first time I calibrated the sub and set it up. I use my receiver controls to tweak when necessary.

As to the sound, the port facing the wall (I have 3"-4" of clearance) just reinforces the bass for me. I'm sure it works fine either way. The only way to know which way you prefer is to try it out both ways when you receive it. Go with whatever setup you want--it's your HT.