Port-Blocking -- How To

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by CarlosM, Dec 10, 2003.

1. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

I recently picked up some B&W 602 S3's and they came w/ the foam to cover the front ports up. I see on the supplied chart a smoother freq/dB line, but I dont exactly know how this translates for me.

I also read that it helps for smaller rooms, which mine is (16 long, 11.5 wide, 8 tall).

Right now i only have two front speakers, and listen to 80ht/20music. Surrounds will most likely come next (601 s3s) and then most likely an HSU STF-2.

...in the mean time, are these port blockers for me?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, they are probably not for you. You will get a flatter response, but you will also lose a tiny bit of efficiency and some bass extension. If you have a problem with boominess due to location, then try them out, but I don't think you will need them.

Your room is a bit narrow, but not too small.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

They are usually if you have your speakers in a corner, up near a wall, etc, that would make them sound boomy. Unless you're having a boominess problem, you probably don't need them. But it doesn't take anything but some time to play around with them, though, so go right ahead and experiment.