What's new

Porgy & Bess released from rights limbo? (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I saw this in the Movies Forum:

"4-TRACK MAGNETIC STEREO FESTIVAL - Egyptian Theatre, Los Angeles Presented by SabuCat Productions
Friday, November 29 - 7:30 PM
Original 4-Track Technicolor Print - Complete Version!!
PORGY & BESS, 1959, 138 min. Dir. Otto Preminger"

I understand the Gershwin estate holds the rights to the film and for many years have refused to allow it to be re-issued. Does this perhaps mean that the film may at last be issued on DVD?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The only known surviving 70mm print of this film was shown at the CINERAMA during the 1999 Seattle International Film Festival. The festival folks told us that this was a rare opportunity because the moratorium was still in effect. I would not take this screening as a sign that the moratorium is lifted. GO SEE IT AT ALL COSTS!!!

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
"Does this perhaps mean that the film may at last be issued on DVD?"

Much as I would like to see it, I think the answer at this time is..

"...it ain't necessarily so".

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Is it 70mm dye-transfer?
Why is the Gershwin Estate holding it back - the goddamn film needs restoring - if they continue to jerk off, the film will eventually be lost forever.
Same goes for Michael Wayne's dunderheaded attitude toawrds The High and the Mighty. What's the state of the negative on that one? Maybe Mr Robert Harris knows? ;)
Gordy

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Why is the Gershwin Estate holding it back - the goddamn film needs restoring - if they continue to jerk off, the film will eventually be lost forever.
The Gershwin estate doesn't like the film adaptation (and controls it), so has never approved its home video release. Hopefully, the film rights holder has preserved the materials anyway, in advance of someday getting approval to release it.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
No dye-transfer prints were made of anything in 70mm
What about 70mm prints of Technirama films? I'm sure that when Spartacus was being restored, Harris & Katz used dye-transfer samples from 1960 to help get the colours right. (Am I right in saying that, Bob?)
Heck, I'd just like to see the film released in cinemas in 35 and 70mm and get a nice DVD edition. It seems so obvious, but the Powers That Be crossing are their arms as usual. Grrr! :angry:
So the screening of Porgy & Bess is 4-track 35mm scope print? Cool. Hope it's a good print. So... where is the original 65mm camera negative kept? Where is the neg to The High and the Mighty kept - Mike Wayne's refridgerator?! :thumbsdown:
Thanks for the info, Pete. :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

TedD

Supporting Actor
Again, no dye transfer prints were ever made in 70mm. The IB prints used for color timing info were 35mm IB prints.

Ted

Jeff Joseph

Agent
There are still rights issues with this title. We got special permission from the Gershwin estate, Goldwyn, and MGM to do this one screening. It's a superb dye-transfer 35mm print...possibly the last one in existence.

Jeff

Jeff Joseph

Agent
Sorry, I don't know about the international rights on this. I presume that the Gershwin estate controls it world wide.

Jeff

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The Gershwin estate owns the music rights. If they won't give permission to use the songs (and background score) then the film cannot be released. It is not a good film and many in the cast regretted doing it. It's a great opera but the film is not. There was a video version that was pretty good. It may still be available.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I had read the Goldwyn Company restored the film a few years ago when they noticed the soundtrack was deteriorating. It was also rumored to be released by MGM/UA but MGM/UA would only have the rights for a short time and they didn't want to spend the money to release the film with a short market window. I believe the music rights become public domain in 2007, but with the new copyright laws this may not happened. The film is ok, there are few closeups and the camera remains stationary much of the time. The print screening at the Egyptian will most likely be the print that's been shown around the Los Angeles area over the last 10 years. I saw the print about 5 years ago, it's not a bad print, but it's not a new print, but that was five years ago.

Jeff Joseph

Agent
No, that print of "Porgy" that you are referring to went bad (vinegar syndrome) and has been destroyed. This is a different print, in excellent shape. And to the best of my knowledge, it is the last surviving dye-transfer Technicolor 4-track stereo print.

Jeff

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Jeff,

Do you know if the "Sweet Charity" print screening at the Egyptian is the roadshow version 157 minutes, or the general release print -133 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks