What's new

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing due March 22nd 2005 (1 Viewer)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Thought I'd post after another Romero. Picked this up the day it was released and just opened it today. A road trip later on today so I can listen to it.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Is Deadwing as creepy lyrically as In Absentia? I really like the music on In Absentia, but man, some of the lyrics.

Anyone know what the story is behind the lyrics? I really hope they aren't autobiographical.

Lee M T

Second Unit
The lyrics on this album are in some ways, what you make of them. SW is usually pretty good in that respect. The theme of the album is taken from a movie script SW is writing about a ghost story, or something to that effect. So yes, the lyrics are sort of creepy, eerie. You can have a look at the lyrics for the album at PT's web site. www.porcupinetree.com and go to the discography section. Click on the track you want lyrics for and...presto.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I remember an interview with Wilson where he says his childhood and life are very happy but he's just interested in the darker side of things, so no, I guess In Absentia is not autobiographical.

I am still waiting for Deadwing to arrive...

Lee M T

Second Unit

You are correct in that assumption. In Absentia is another concept album. The album is about serial killers, rapists, and the like. The concept starts right away with "Blackest Eyes" with lyrics such as the following:

- A mother sings a lullaby to a child
Sometime in the future the boy goes wild

- A walk in the woods
and I will try Something under the trees that made you cry

- A few minutes with me inside my van
Should be so beautiful if we can
I'm feeling something taking over me

And the lyrics in "Strip The Soul" should be pretty obvious. In Absentia is a very dark and sinister album, quite frankly. I just love how SW can still make it sound so beautiful and even uplifting at times. Very creative.

Wilson noted in an interview that he does not condone the work of serial killers, but that he is fascinated with the psychology behind them.

Matt Levy

Grip
Thanks Manus for backing me up on the 5.1 mix. Whatever that other dude was hearing is beyond me. Obviously, he begs to differ with the experts voting on the Surround Music Awards in 2004, who gave In Absentia the Best Surround Mix of the Year (Non Orchestral). He also must be saying Elliott Scheiner stinks, if the 5.1 mix is thin compared to the 2 channel CD version. Maybe that or someone needs his hearing checked or has some excuse for a surround system.

I got Deadwing on CD on Friday, as I could not wait any longer for the DVD-Audio. As Murphy's Law would have it, I then got the DVD-Audio of it in the mail today. That's right. DTS sent me the DVD-Audio a week early before the official release date of May 10. Yippee!!!

Holy you know what is all I can say. Just as good as the In Absentia mix. 3 extra songs on the DVD-Audio. Nice menu. Lyrics included. It is a 24/48 mix on the 5.1
DVD-Audio, DTS 5.1, and 2 channel versions. The album on its own is amazing. The hard edge of In Absentia continues, although it has its quiet, blissful and ethereal moments. Each song is a journey and this is as good as anything I've heard from them. I almost crapped my pants when I played it the first time. I felt like I was like a kid in a musical candy store. Its not as long as In Absentia, but a very strong effort, and as usual, an amazing production with layer upon layer of sound. I won't critique each and every song, you can go to amazon.com for that. Just go and get this DVD-Audio and support this amazing band. You won't be disappointed.

If PT fans don't like the current sound of the band, then you're not letting Steve Wilson be true to himself and keep changing it up and progressing. Do you really want him to play the same stuff over and over - don't you think he'll be going through the motions by doing that? It's not like he is going soft like many others have. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

mackie

Supporting Actor
I just received notice that the copy I ordered from acoustic sounds shipped today. I can't wait to hear this thing. I spent the past hour or so listening to Signify. I usually listen to this at work as background music but decided to throw it in the good system. I'd forgotten what a great disk this is and all the layers of sound in the songs.

Lee M T

Second Unit
This isn't Deadwing related, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread.

Amazon.com is offering Lightbulb Sun (Special Edition) for $13.99 right now!!! I guess they came up on some new stock or something. Seems fishy. They had Recordings for $13.99 about a month ago and when I ordered I got an E-Mail saying they goofed up. So far, no bad E-Mails yet for my LS purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...855043-8956720

mackie

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads up Lee. I went ahead and ordered it since I've heard what a great CD it is and how I need new music. Deadwing in DVD-A arrived today. I'm gonna give it a listen this evening while watching the NBA playoffs with the sound off in High Def:D

Manus

Second Unit
Not having much luck lately :frowning:
Ordered that @lightbulb Sun' CD only to get an e-mail listing ship date as July 5 :thumbsdown:

Also ordered the Limited Special Edition which was due April 26 and still hasn't shipped :thumbsdown:

I only have the Cd at the moment and the only criticism of steven Wilson is allowing all these different versions , its getting ridiculous like Fox/Columbia Tristar dvd double-dips :)

Rant over,
bring on the Dvd-A

M

bill.M

Auditioning
cant wait to see them when they play here in Chicago at the Park West
As far as Deadwing..it took a few listens for me but im growing to like it more..i was the same way with In Absentia

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I'm liking this record more and more. I have a few friends with whom we share music "recommendations". I made sure each one picked up Deadwing over the weekend and our policy is to listen to a record in full 3 times before discussing it. Each one of these guys loved In Absentia so I'm confident they will also enjoy Deadwing. One of my buddies called me this morning to tell me how much he is really digging Deadwing. We may go see PT next weekend at the Stone Pony.

"Shallow" just kicks all kinds of ass.
"Lazarus" is a beautiful piece of music and could be a (yikes!) radio hit if their record company really pushed it.

Enjoy....

Lee M T

Second Unit
I guess we'll just make this the anything PT thread.

www.porcupinetree.com has been updated again.

I mentioned this in an earlier post in this thread. However, it is nice to hear conformation on the Staircase Infinities bonus disc. I believe May 22 pertains to a European release only as all US stores show May 31. I preordered my copy with CD Universe for just $12.59.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I am just catching up on this thread. I fall somewhere in the middle in the comparison of IA (stereo vs. 5.1). The surround mix has amazing separation and spaciousness, but the bass is thinner. That's my only complaint about: it doesn't have the punch of the stereo mix. The beginning of Sound of Muzak and Creator Had a Mastertape are good examples. And before you ask, I do have a fairly good system (Anthem AVM30/PVA7 separates, Paradigm studio ref speakers, SVS sub). I've listened to them on other setups as well. All that said, I still listen to the surround mix almost every time, and I'm looking forward to DW in 5.1. I want to enjoy the stereo for a while and then give myself the "whole new experience" like I did with IA.

Chris

mackie

Supporting Actor
I listened to the Deadwing DVD-A last night and was very impressed. I need to spend more time with it, but so far I like it alot. I feel the mix on this is better than In Absentia DVD-A. It definitely has a heavy emphasis on the bass. Also, I felt that in some of the passages like the opening to Blackest Eyes the instruments had an un-natural sound, but everything on BW seems natural. Only complaint, and it's a minor one barely worth mentioning, is the voices aren't as up-front in the sound field as I'd like. They seem to be coming from behind the rest of the instruments. I think the use of the surround channels is better than IA too. Lots of information comes from them, but they rarely draw attention away from the front 3 channels. In my opinion, this is how it should be done. It also has a kind of Signify and earlier PT sound in a lot of the songs more so than IA. I'm really looking forward to spending more time with this disk.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I realize that reading doesn't substitute for inteligence, but surely you could read it in my post that I have no problem with the mix but rather of the mastering of it,nor I said anything about Elliot Scheiner,as a matter of fact I really like his mixes, I own several of his "creations" on HI-rez...and before you criticize someone's gear without knowing anything about it you might wanna educute yourself on it first so you don't come accross as a complete ass.BTW this was discussed here before and some chimed in with similar opinions to mine some the opposite, but nobody made assumptions about anybody's gear or hearing.Maybe after you grow out of pubity we can discuss matters in a more productive manners?

Here is a review by someone else:
http://www.audioholics.com/productre...InAbsentia.php

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Re: Deadwing

Almost missed the hidden 10th track on the CD! Anyone know the name of it and lyrics for it (not on PT's site)?

Also can't find the DVD-A online in the US and CD Universe is backordered already. How is DVD Pacific's shipping/customer service/etc.?
-

Lee M T

Second Unit

The track is titled Shesmovedon. It is a remade version of the same song from PT's 2000 release "Lightbulb Sun," which is another stellar album from the group.

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Got my DVD-A today (2 weeks instead of the normal 4 days to get here from Miami sheesh!) What a mix we have here!
PT must have written this as a 5.1 album as it works perfectly on every track - 9.5 out of 10 in my humble opinion
Haven't seen mention on here of the 5.1 version of "She's Moved On" which is an "easter egg" on the DVD-A (in the Extras Menu - move around on the arrows & the centre icon lights up with the title)
Enjoy! Paul ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks