What's new

Popup Stopper stopped stopping popups (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have been getting popups all over as if I didn't even have popup stopper installed. I have the free edition.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...handling_x.htm

Here is a link to a site that gave me popups, in spite of me having popup stopper.

I looked at my settings and there really sin't much there to adejust. I guess popup stopper is junk now that the spammers have found a way around it.

Is there a good program out there to replace it?

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
Eric -

If you are referring to Panicware's Pop-up Stopper software, I have the same free edition installed. When I went to that webpage it did stop the popups. Perhaps you just need to uninstall and re-install the software. They also have periodic updates, so maybe you just need to check that.

MikeP

JayV

Supporting Actor
I used Mozilla, used to recommend it for its tabbed browsing and pop-up killer features. I recommend MozillaFirebird now, since it is "lighter" and loads faster. Either is a real step up from IE, though.

-j

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
A vote for Mozilla-Firebird here as well. While them spyware removal software works, they cannot get them all nowadays. You have to run them more frequesntly than before.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Yet another recommendation for Mozilla Firebird. I dumped IE 2 months ago and have used Firebird ever since. I almost forgot about popups.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
yet another vote for Mozilla. I use it at home and its great. Google tool bar is good for IE (I have that at work).

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Google toolbar works if you don't want to (or can't....some people seem to forget that all work computers can't be set up just the way we want them) use another browser. I tried that site and had no problem.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
If you don't want to drop IE, then get the google toolbar. It's also nice to be able to just put in a search term.

If you want to try a differnt browers, then get Mozilla Firebird. I am useing it, and I love it. But, then again most of the time I am in Linux, so no IE for me.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member

if [ "$SPECIFIED_LOCATION" = "" ] ; then
ASSUMED_LOCATION = "home"
fi

Byte me. :p) BYTE! It's a joke, son!

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Add another vote for Mozilla. A lot of ad-related annoyances went "poof" the instant I started using Mozilla.

The main downside is that there are slight differences in how Mozilla and IE handle tables. Since most people these days develop for IE, this can occasionally lead to strange-looking web page renderings (www.windrivers.com often looks distorted in Mozilla). This is a fairly minor nuisance and I'm happy to consider it a justifiable price of getting rid of popups.

Other good and bad things:
  • The tabbed browsing is awful nice too
  • If you're used to using shift-click to open links in new windows, use ctrl-click in Mozilla/Firebird
  • Finally you can stop with the ctrl-Enter nonsense. Mozilla is smart enough to guess what you mean when you type in a partial URL. For instance you can type in "charityname" then press Enter and watch your browser find "http://www.charityname.org/" on its own!
  • Mozilla is open source, and Microsoft apparently thinks open source will cause the end of civilization as we know it. Anarchy now! OK, maybe not anarchy, but you can thumb your nose at "da man" (Microsoft).

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
yeah seriously stop using MS browser products and you'll never get popups.

mozilla firebird is the way to go.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor

Yeah yeah....

I was just pointing out that for "some" the kneejerk response is to bash anything MS and rant about the advantages of the alternatives. I don't disagree that the alternatives are better, but they're not always an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks