What's new

Popular films that didn't get a follow-up...but should have. (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Terry Jones write a really good script for Gremlins 2 that was abandoned because it was too big, impossible to achieve on late 80s technology. With CG, that could be revisited.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

There wasn't a big screen continuation of these, but both had short-lived television series based on them.

Alexey

Grip
Real Name
Alexey
I'd like to see a sequel to Spirited Away.
And Ghost in the Shell 2, though it's bit problematic story wise

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I was going to mention the TV shows for Adventures in Babysitting and Clueless, but neither had the same actors, and couldn't come close to the movies. :)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
There's a Ghost in the Shell sequel coming called Innocence, I believe.

Sign me up for Remo Williams. I just finished reading the latest installment, Political Pressure....

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, sequels are worthless unless there was just an overabundance of story to be told in the first chapter. I could watch twelve "Star Wars" flicks (so long as they're not written by Lucas) due to the sheer potential of that mythology. Otherwise, the leads had better be REALLY likable - see John McClane or Riggs/Murtaugh.

I still don't quite get the rationale behind clamoring for a "Big Trouble" or "Evil Dead" sequel. Would I like to have seen them? Sure: a decade ago. Both Campbell and Russell look every bit their age (45 and 50-ish, respectively), and I really have no desire to see them limping around at this late stage. Those franchises are way past their expiration date.

What could've been...

- A third "Superman" that matched the tone and grandeur of the first two, instead of playing it for laughs and shoe-horning Pryor in.

- A fourth "Lethal Weapon" that wasn't so overstuffed with broadly drawn comedic relief, and with a script that someone spent more than a few weeks on.

I also admit to being a total mark and probably would've plunked down a few bucks for another "Rocky" or "Rambo." Those characters are extremely watchable. And re: my previous complaint of outstaying your welcome, Stallone has a better physique at 57 than most men do at 27.

Uh, not that I've done a ton of research on it.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I agree with this.

Using that criteria, I can come up with very few popular movies that deserved a sequel but didn't get one. I would very much like to see a sequel/prequel to CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON as I think there is much more story to tell with those characters.

Another possibility is THE RIGHT STUFF. While that was a great movie about the early space pioneers in America, there were other pioneers too. What about a movie about the Gemini/Apollo program, ending with the Apollo 11 landing on the moon? Focus on Gus Grissom's character, who redeemed himself in commanding the first Gemini mission and going on to die in Apollo 1.

Another decent followup could have been a sequel to RED DAWN, but they probably killed off too many of the main characters to make it work.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Add in another vote for a Leon sequel. Seeing Mathilda grown up and working for Tony as a hit woman would be great. As long as they don't have some little boy that she befriends and teaches, etc.. cause that would be lame.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

:D They're working on "Halloween 9" right now. The loss of Donald Pleasence (He died on February 2, 1995 shortly after completing work on "Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers.") has left a huge void in the series though.

I'd really like to see a sequel to "Black Christmas," if, and only if, it were done properly. The problem is, I don't know if it's possible to do a worthy sequel to this 30-year-old horror gem. What worked so well in 1974 might not carry over in 2004. If done today it would probably be loaded with CGI and feature Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and a bunch of rappers as the cast. Then, they'd probably do something really stupid by revealing who the killer is.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Gone With the Wind - wait, tried that, sucked.

Uh...

Cassablanca? Also tried. Sucked.

Sometimes, I think great original movies should stay alone.. example: Highlander would be better with NO sequels then a bunch of cruddy ones ;)

OK, here's a film that could be sequeled in a completely different direction: UHF2 except instead of UHF, maybe VH2? :) A cable video network with the radical idea of showing only videos as steered by Wierd Al garners an audience?

Rajvir

Agent
I would love to see a sequel to Grosse Pointe Blank. I know that John Cusack has talked about making a sequel but I think it's about time he actually got around to doing it. :)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see more "Wizard of Oz" movies based on the books and dark like Return to Oz. Also....

Masters...of...the...Universe!!! ;)

Marko_J

Agent

DAMN DAMN DAMN...
I go through 3 pages of this only to see you name this movie...
For me this is a movie and a character that NEEDS a sequel!...

and maybe even the Dude from the big lebowsky... but maybe it's better to leave it as it is, so it doesn't demolish his cult status..

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have any info on that "twilight of the dead" film that was mentioned earlier?

Was there any real chance at that?

Thanks

btw to add something to the thread: Fight Club

There are a million and one different stories in this movie, and I'd love to see what happens after the somewhat climatic ending... What do you guys think?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks