"Popular animated series, into big live action movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason St Louis, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Jason St Louis

Jason St Louis Stunt Coordinator

With the recent Hollywood trend of turning popular cartoons, into big live action movies like Inspector Gadget, Josie and the Pussycats, Rocky and Bullwinkle, along with the soon to be released Powerpuff Girls(animated) movie and Scooby Doo!. What can we the cinema going public, see as the next big thing to be revived?
    I've put together a list of the potential greats that could be on a Hollywood executive list? NOTE: None of these potential animated shows have been done? i'm just throwing out some ideas to catch your interests, so if you want to come up with your own list or add anything feel free!
    Visualising animated shows being turned into live action movies with a great premise, storylines, action, humor and all out special effects is easy. Giving a reason for choices made is different. Letting my imagination run wild, here is my list for Hollywood to make these animated shows into movies, with the most important first with a reason.
    1 * Robotech: The Macross Saga
    Reasons: Epic series of a alien ship landing on Earth, called the SDF1, A fleshed out group of three dimensional characters, Rick Hunter, Captain Golval, Lin Min May, Roy Fokker and Lisa Hayes. Starting a chain of events with the "Zentraedi". Love, War, Sorrow this would be great as a live action movie!
    2 * Ulysses31
    Reasons: A sci-fi retelling of the greek Homer's tales of Ulysses(Odysseus was his greek name)in the 31st Century.
    Ulysses has a quest to save his friends and crewmates from the greek Gods curse on them(Zeus turns them lifeless as stone)to find the "Kingdom of Hades" in their area of space! after destroying the great Cyclop. This premise alone would make a blockbuster movie!
    3 * Thundercats
    Reasons: Thundercats? Would be number one if not for Robotech! Nuff said!!! make a kick ass live actioner movie Hollywood?
    4 * Starblazers
    Reasons: Simular but different to Ulysses31 (See Ulysses31)
    5 * Battle of the Planets
    Reasons: With Alex Ross sudden interests in doing a comic book series next year and my liking and remembering this classic show, Hollywood could be on to a surefire hit if they do it right!
    6 * G.I.JOE
    Reasons: This might have been on the Hollywood exec minds years ago, but in light of the recent September 11th, the storyline of a G.I.Joe movie would have to, by a longshot avoid terrorism!
    7 *Johnny Quest
    Reasons: "Action Adventure", Indiana Jones for kids, with the success of Harry Potter, this could be a smart move for a cash in?
    8 * Space Ghost
    Reasons: Recognizable in american pop culture Space Ghost done right, could for sure be a top draw at the box office for kids and adults!
    9 * Trigun
    Reasons: Anime TV series are not adapted as much but this series can stir up interests of the exec's if they are listening! Trigun has potential?
    10 *The Space Sentinels
    reasons: Another Hanna and Barbera stable show that maybe forgotten? Hercules, Mercury, Astraea. Three heroes with Strength,Speed and Transformation battles the forces of evil. Forgotten shows or TV shows have the potential to surprise and if handled with care, this show would be a contender!
    11 * Aeon Flux
    Reasons: Silent secret agent with deadly missions that get her killed. If you want to base her adventures on the MTV series version then it will have less spark that the gruesome shorts she was in but, with a creative director this could be something?
    12 * Dragonball Z
    Reasons: I'm sure someones already thought of this as being a movie franchise! Son Goku battles his Brother Raditsu and former arch enemy Piccolo in a "world erupting fight" putting Blade, Matrix, Superman 2 and X-men to shame in the first 10 minutes to find out later on two of his friends (Nappa and Prince Vegeta)are on their way to Earth to Steal Dragonballs!
    Possible but Dragonball Z is a huge thing to sort out into a movie franchise???
    13 *The Smurfs
    Reasons: You heard right i said "SMURFS" But i wonder if the "blue people" would be out of place in the hip happening 21st Century?
    14 * Gargoyles
    Reasons: Fantasy is coming back with a bang! so Gargoyles would look good and handle good if done right!
    15* Freakazoid
    Reasons: Imagine "Jim Carrey as Freakazoid and you will see this as possible but Jim Carrey has moved away from the wackieness of his preivous roles so Robin Williams will do in the role?
    16 * Star Fleet (X-Bomber Japanese version)
    Reasons: Japanese puppet show with the Gerry Anderson idea running through it. Epic Space adventure format could be realised through CGI. With a story of Invasion, Romance, War Freedom fighting and great villians!
    17 * Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    Reasons: (See Starblazers)
    18 * The adventures of the Galaxy Rangers
    Reasons: Possible but don't quote me on it! it would be like doing "Bravestar" only Trigun i can imagine as a Western epic? I need help on this one
    19 * Fat Albert
    Reasons: It would be a crime if i didn't mention him but i'm thinking of story ideas for this TV to movie shot
    20 * The Peanuts
    Reasons: Peanuts would a great idea. Charlie brown, Linus, Lucy and Snoopy on the big screen played by actors it's not as far fetched these days to see that happening?
    There are some twenty ideas of mine if anyone has a story for potential movies going to the big screen lets hear them? Hollywoods doing them anyway and their ideas usually bomb! lets share some ideas and talk about movie from animated TV shows we would like to see i'm sure anyone on the HTF boards could do their own movie script if they had the chance!!! You can do it but, you have to sell it to someone interested in it!
    Thanks for your time [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I apologize in advance if it seems like I'm dumping on you

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I'm hoping Gargoyles becomes a live action movie! [​IMG]
    The Jetsons is also currently undergoing a re-write.

4. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

I don't think GI Joe would need to avoid terrorism. Quite the opposite, I think a GI Joe movie would probably do very well *because* it's about an elite anti terrorist group. Just the kind of movie to pump up the American people and get those patriotic juices flowing. My friend and I had a list of actors we wanted for certain roles in GI Joe, I don't have it on me right now, but the two I remember and humbly submit are:

Jason Lee as Shipwreck

Michael Wincott as Zartan

5. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Out of all of those, Gargoyles would be the best one, and the one I'm hoping for. Even as an adult I enjoyed the Disney animated show Gargoyles. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. Good show. It would make the best movie. Although the gargoyles would have to be CGI. I can't imagine an actor playing them.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Supposedly, John Hughes is working on a live action Peanuts movie.

7. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Of course, there have been some forgettable stinkers such as "Masters of the Universe" and "Howard the Duck"....

8^B

8. Jason St Louis

Thanks for the replys people! I'm sure i alot of you can unlock thoses creative juices, as we are sharing alot more original ideas to get out a good franchise based on "Animated TV shows" than Hollywood??? All we need is to develop scripts with depth and alot rich characters plots to get things moving in the right direction.

It is possible to get things moving, selling an idea to a studio must be tough though. Movie scripts tend to be in "Development hell" for years and even when we see them they my not be "that" good?

Anyone here heard of or read the "Plastic Man" script! or the King Kong, Peter Jackson remake script! these ideas won't see light of day, but in Hollywood's recent remake mode that's the wrong thing to say?

Movie lovers must be asking themselves these questions. Film's like, Spider-man has been a 12-years plus hike to get to the screen! Batman's draft script was done since 1983 before 1989 rolled around. Maybe the pipedream of seeing half of the movies i listed, will be in the back of some script writer's mind.

Is anyone on HTF a writer? or does anyone here tend to write scripts for movies and TV as a hobby, in their spare time? at work? or for a project? anyone work in thoses University's in the states as a film student?

I'm crazy enough to think like "Robert Rodriguez" that you could film part of scene of a script in video or digital camcorder and produce a short scene or film and show it to a buyer or producer or keep it to yourself (as in own it and show it around to industry insiders and other such people)

It's a wacky idea but, if there is no limit to your imagination then, writing and meeting the right people would get you a good start! (long as you're realistic about how far you can take this idea!)

Thanks for the feedback keep it coming

9. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Unfortunately, or as expected, each of those examples cited has not done well, except for Scooby-Doo, which has yet to be released. I expect it to fail so miserably that it will become Hollywood Lore. Those are some good ideas.
    Especially Michael Wincott as Zartan!
    Have a good one[​IMG],
    Chuck

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

11. Jason St Louis

Remember there is also the likeness of the characters from the shows, that will be effected when they fleshed out into live action!

Cartoon series tend to be colour full and bright. In live action they may seem out of place, so Producers of a movie come up with a different look and feel that generally alienates the fans of the original (I haven't seen "Josie and the Pussycats", but i know it not like the TV show!)

"Thundercats" would be good but it would need to be bigger and more epic in vision to pull off? "Ulysses31" I can see an unknown star in this because, new faces can make things work better in sci-fi fantasy movies! "Robotech" I see as a huge franchise if done right, The movie could have an international cast and follow like the "LOTR saga" in cinema's It will be like the animated series and would be "The Macross Saga" first! The second movie "Southern Cross" and third "A New Begining or Invid Invasion Saga"

I'm still bringing reasonable questions and answers for my choices as i think you should run with a good idea? also here are some more!

* Dungeons and Dragons (Marvel's 1980's TV series)

* Visonaries

* The Lost Cities of Gold

* Bubblegum Crisis

* Moldiver

* Carmen Sandiego

* The Inhumanoids

* Patlabor

* Laputa the flying island

* Tintin (from TV series and graphic novel books)

There are a few more to jog the mind

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Well, just a few notes.. I think a gargoyles movie would be interesting..
    GI Joe had it's own movie that bombed before it got to the theaters and became a saturday matinee film for WGN and pay cable... (Cobra La-la-la-la as some snake headed guy took over)
    Anyway, that aside, one other note:

13. Jason St Louis

All thoses Peanuts films you listed are animated? i'm talking translations to the big screen!
    The best site that has information on subjects like this is www.comics2film.com as they also list animated shows other than comics, that get the TV to big screen treatment!
    Hey where are the lists? i wanted people to make! let get creative people![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Jason St Louis

Some more ideas just in
    * The Bionic Six
    * Astro Boy
    * The Centurions
    * Prince Valiant
    * Reboot (CGI, Animated movie)
    * Inch high Private Eye
    * Animanicas
    Hope there are some more out there? [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

It was indeed in Schulz's will that Peanuts...THE STRIP...and the strip only...now since ABC has the rights to the Peanuts specials, they are going to be doing new production on specials for the Network. In fact, there is to be a new Valentine Special for 2002. The only aspect of the Peanuts that passed with Sparky is the strip...nothing else.

I do hope that Hughes never does a live action version of Peanuts. I believe that it would only lessen the desire for the comics and the beloved Master of them.

I have always hoped though, and one that I didn't see on the list, that a live action movie of the Justice League would be done.

16. Jason St Louis

Chuck L, you mean besides the TV movie you want to see the Justice League? It would be interesting to see a superpowered group other than the "X-Men" because there are so many single "Superheroes" coming to the big screen "Ghostrider" Ang Lee's "Hulk" "Batman year One?" "Superman Lives/Reborn" all in development!

And lets not forget "Blade 2" "X-Men 2" "Spider-man" "Daredevil" "Iron Fist" coming also!