What's new

"Popstar" short review ... (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Was fortunate enough to catch "Popstar: Never stop Never stopping" in the theater today. I say fortunate because (a) this film has flopped badly so won't be around for long, and (b) it's pretty darn funny!

Andy Samberg does a fine job playing the Justin Bieber character. Other SNL alumni are equally effective in various roles as managers, ex-bandmates, DJs, and sundry other hangers-on who indulge his whims. The film also boasts loads of celebrity cameos. Whoever made the film knows a lot of people and they called in their chits. Mariah Carey and Snoop are particularly effective. Ringo Starr (!!) is too. What is surprising is that the comedy gags revolve around obviously ridiculous aspects of modern pop fame that we are all familiar with - social media screwups, manufactured hits, product endorsements, egomaniacal posturing - and yet more times than not they score their mark anyway. And beneath all the surface bling, the film has a heart, and the directors are wise enough to end this long before it can overstay its welcome. I was entertained.

Really, "Popstar" is a 2016 "Spinal Tap". It's about that clever and endearing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked it too. It's funny, it's biting (since music is so bought and sold today, it must have been hard to come up with an idea of product placement that hadn't already been done) and it has heart.

I'm low brow so I loved the extra ingredient he put in his eggs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Gotta disagree with the positive comments - I thought it was pretty bad. Lots of easy, cheap jokes and not much cleverness involved.

I chuckled maybe 3 times, and that's being generous. I just don't see this as an incisive parody - it goes after low-hanging fruit and brings little wit to the table.

Samberg makes for a dull lead actor, too - I don't think he can carry a film on his own, as he seemed bland here. The supporting actors did a little better but were let down by the toothless material.

And the endless parade of cameos got old! The movie would've been better off with fewer of these, as they lost impact before long.

On the "Spinal Tap" scale of parodies, "Popstar" doesn't go to 11 - it maybe goes to 3!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks