What's new

pops (1 Viewer)

Bob Io

Auditioning
I purchased my townhouse about 4 and a half years ago, and ever since I moved in, I've experienced some weird electrical effects that I've never seen in other homes.

My HT set-up is on the middle floor of three, with a Panamax power conditioner plugged into an outside wall house receptacle. Whenvever certain appliances in the house are operated, such as light switches, or the washer and dryer downstairs, there is a subtle popping sound in my speakers and subwoofer. Everything is running through the Panamax, which is a 3-prong plug.

Related to the HT popping noise, is a similar problem upstairs with my computer. When my monitor and speakers are on, and my roommate turns on the light in his adjoining room, there is a corresponding flicker on the monitor accompanied by a another subtle popping noise in those speakers.

What the heck is going on in these situations? Are there multiple bad ground connections in the house circuits, or possibly voltage/current fluctuations? I once went around to all the outlets in the house and used a receptacle tester to verify proper wiring and functioning. They all checked out ok. I would try one of those cheater type plugs, but wouldn't that defeat the protection afforded by the surge protectors? I mean... why do they make three prong plugs if they don't give you any added benefit?

Any insights would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Io

Auditioning
Ok. So, what if I find that they're all on the same circuit? Then what?

Thanks for the link, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks