Popping speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt_Briol, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

I just got my new Onix Rocket speakers and a Denon AVR-3803 receiver set up and no matter what audio source I'm listening to my speakers make random popping or clicking noises, it's really annoying. I thought it was some type of interferance so I moved the individual components away from eachother and the speakers but that didn't help. I then took a monster audio cable and plugged that in to see if the extra shielding would help but that didn't either. The popping is happening with both my DVD player and my cable receiver, any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Most likely things are a problem with the receiver or dirty power. If it only happens when sound is playing, then that eliminates dirty wall power.

3. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

I don't think it's the power, this only happens while something is playing.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Try another receiver if you can, and is it happening from specific speakers or not? If it is from a spefici speaker/speakers, try moving them to other channels, and see if the problem moves with them. If it is happening on all of them, it is most likely faulty receiver.

5. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

I've got the same problem with my setup too.

It's driving me NUTTS.

This all started when I added an Anthem MCA20 amp to my Pioneer elite Rec.

Now whenever I turn on my DVD player I get a popping noise.

I've tried close to everything I could think of.

Monster Reference power center. Hospital Grade AC outlet. Double and Triple checked all connections.

Someone PLEASE HELP!

Matt, what kind of DVD player do you have? Mine's a Denon 1600, I wonder if it's common with this particular model of DVD player?

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Luke- it only happens when you power up the DVD player ? Is your MCA 20 setup for auto on ? If so, it should be off when the DVD is powered up. Just make sure you turn the DVD player on while the amp is in the dormant state. Or make sure the pioneer is off when the DVD is powered up. Or, just leave the DVD player on all the time. An ideling DVD player will consume about as much power as a wall night light.

7. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

Brian, it happens whenever the DVD player is operating (it's worse when it's actually operating).

But...

I've finally figured it out.....

I had a set of Mogami Neglex 2497 Interconnect cables hooking up my Preout to my amp.

I've changed those cables to a set of Monster THX Ultra Stereo Audio cables and the popping sounds are greatly minimized.

It was those friggen cables.

8. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

are you guys using optical cables, or digital coax?

when i swapped receivers [marantz to an hk], i noticed that i was getting the popping sound on my speakers. i use digital coax and switched...ta-DA! problem solved.

ie. its very unlikely that its your speakers or your receiver, but a flaw in cabling.