Popping sounds from my Kenwood VR-2090

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William G. Lipe, Sep 22, 2001.

1. William G. Lipe

My receiver just recently starting emitting a strange noise through the main L&R channels whenever I access the remote control. The noise also occurs when it switches audio formats, or when the cooling fan turns on and off. It's sort of like a low level high pitched screeching noise.
    The weird thing is when I turn the receiver to check the connections the noise stops. It comes back However, in about 20-25 minutes after I've turned it back around.
    I've checked all of my connections and they seem to be fine.
    To me the problem seems to be internal.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    WiGgLe [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD List

2. William G. Lipe

3. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

it sounds to me like there is a ribbon cable loose inside the receiver or possibly a bad interconnect(RCA) cable with an intermittent connection, if it goes away when you move it that to me is a big relief which means it is something physical(hardware) not some electronic component going out you, (I'm sure its just a bad connection some where.)
    I would try this, remove all the interconnect cables from the receiver and listen to FM tuner for while and see if it goes away eliminating a bad interconnect cable (it could happen).
    If that doesn't work pull the plug & pull the lid off and reset every ribbon or plugin type cable that you can possible see inside and if you haven't yet or in a while now is good time to get some dusting gas a blow that baby out. These are a couple of things to try.
    Last resort: they make good boat anchors. HA HA just
    kidding.
    Good Luck

4. Scott_M

Scott_M Auditioning

I have the vr 2080 and it does the same thing or should I say did intill about a month ago when it blew out all the outputs. It is in the shop now and they do not know at this point what caused it, the poping or the blown outputs. The only idea they had was to check the ohm levels on the speakers to see if they are close to 8 ohms. I have over $200 into the repair already. This is also the second time it has been into the shop.

5. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar problem on my 2090. It seems that the noise occurs whenever the receiver's IR transmitter sends info to the remote. The strange thing is, I can usually power the receiver off and back on and the problem will go away. It seems to only occur after the receiver has been on a few hours. The problem started occuring after the IR transmitter LED burned out.
    I have learned to live with it. I don't plan on replacing/repairing the receiver unless some problem occurs that actually affects playback.