Popping Sound on New RCA DVD Player

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Doug MacGregor, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Doug MacGregor

Doug MacGregor Stunt Coordinator

I received a new RCA basic DVD player ($69 CDN) a few days ago to replace my 3 year old $300 JVC.
    I usually listen to DVD's thru my Home Theater System but I do connect the analog audio cables for whenever I want to listen to a DVD on just my TV speakers.
    I noticed right away that when I switched from menu to menu on any DVD there was a popping or static clicking sound coming from the TV speakers.
    My Home Theater Receiver is a 3 year old JVC 6010 and I connect to my TV's audio with a Radio Shack RF modulator.
    The popping sound does not come thru on the HT system...only on the TV.
    The old one never did this.
    Sound defective?
    Thanks.

2. Doug MacGregor

I have been posting on this wonderful forum for 3 years now since I was first introduced to Ht.
    I can't begin to tell the moderators and fellow members how valuable their assistance, insight and opinions have meant to me in my pursuit.
    But really!
    I posted this question 2 weeks ago and nobody cared enough to give me even a simple reply?
    Was my question too simple?
    Was it ignored because I didn't post a question concerning a $5,000 or $10,000 addition to my HT?
    I thought the premise of this forum was "no question is too simple".
    Maybe I'm wrong but it sure feels like I've been ignored.
    Maybe an RCA DVD player is just too "low brow" for the expensive tastes on here.
    I'm really very disappointed.

3. John S

John S Producer

I think like myself, nobody has come across a similar issue, so nobody had any real usefull information for you.

Although I can say, I run into similar situations with using coax input to displays with sound in general.

No way to hook it up with standard L/R Audio RCA cables? I think it may magically elliminate the fuzz.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Doug. Sorry I missed your eariler post.

If the popping sound only comes when using the menu system on the DVD player - it sounds like the player is having issues. If the popping sound came up with every pause/rewind all the time, I would adivse you to try re-running the cables suspecting interference from other devices. But the menu system - is fairly isolated.

Does the DVD player have a headphone jack? Try plugging in headphones and listening for the pop when playing with the menus. If you hear it, it's the DVD player.

Try running the L/R cables from the DVD player away from the other cables. It 'could' be interference..

Can you take the new DVD player and L/R cables to a friends house and see if the same problem happens with a different television setup?

Oh - is the new DVD player plugged into the same power strip as the television? This can sometimes help.

5. Doug MacGregor

Thank you Bob (and John).
    I do appreciate the feedback.
    I was hoping to get an answer to this before the piddly 90-day warranty ran out.
    Here's the situation.
    I did some further testing and the "popping" sound occurs whenever I push any of the play related buttons on the remote...play or FF or RW , as well as selecting any of the DVD menu options...so basically all the time.
    But again...only through the TV speakers, not thru my HT.
    Not a big deal but not normal either.
    The DVD player is connected to my TV by audio L/R cables (the same ones I used for the old JVC player) through a Radio Shack RF modulator. Yes a 5 year old RCA (ugh!)TV.
    Begged my wife for the JCV with component inputs but it was $50 more. (Can you say "whipped"...he he).
    The player has no headphone jack.
    I connected the player to my other TV in another room with different cables and the same RF modulator and had the same result.
    So I guess it's the DVD player itself.
    Thanks for the tips Bob (and John).
    By the way, even though it's 3 years older, the JVC is much faster at layer changes than this brand new RCA.
    Guess I'll stay away from RCA.
    But, hey, it was a B-day gift so...

6. Doug MacGregor

Problem solved.
    Took the RCA DVD player back and bought a Philips.
    No more popping sound.
    The guy at the store said it was probably a "ground fault" on the circuit board.
    Thanks for your help.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Glad to hear it worked out.

8. Doug MacGregor

Thank you Bob.
    As a postscript to this...don't the manufacturers test these things before they leave the factory?
    Or do they pump them out to fast to test every one?
    By the way...I've never bought Philips before but I'm really impressed with the quality of the sound from this unit (DVP642).
    Seems richer somehow than the JVC or RCA.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Doug,

Some test them in the factory, some test them - at the customer's! [​IMG]

They have quick tests in the plants, of course, but the final extensive tests that would be needed to guarantee a perfect product at every buyer's home (or at least 99.99% of those) isn't done. Instead they are "easy" to switch if you bring it back with a problem.

No need to explain why.... [​IMG]

Cees