Popping sound from right channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe-Frietze, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Joe-Frietze

Joe-Frietze Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

My cheap stereo receiver in my office is really annoying me right now. It's an entry-level KLH R3100 (100x2) that I just use for FM, my CD Changer, and output from the PC for MP3s, so sound quality was never a huge concern, just something with basic playability and a remote control so I could change inputs and stations and quickly mute it from across the room if I had a business call.

And it worked fine for over a year. But now I am getting an annoying popping sound from the right channel. It almost always happens right after power-on, and sometimes it continues intermittently for an hour or so afterwards.

The first thing I did was switch the wires and the speakers, and the same thing happened, so it is definitely the channel in the receiver. It happens no matter the input, so it's not just an FM thing.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Joe - The KLH R3100 is only $80, so you really do get what you pay for. Here are several reviews of this model on amazon.com:

DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM - Won't last more than 6 months!, July 3, 2006
    I was looking for an inexpensive stereo receiver, and I came across this model, as it's the lowest priced reciever on Amazon (and possibly in the United States as a whole). I figured that I just needed a simple receiver and that this would suffice. So I purchsed this KLH model. About 4 months later, one of the channels stopped working - meaning sound would only come out of one speaker. As I was trying to replace the speaker wire, I saw a spark, then saw smoke emanating from the receiver. Suffice to say, the KLH totally stopped working at this point. I figured, "no problem, it must be under warranty since it's only been six months." I was wrong. I looked up the warranty, and KLH only offers a 3 month warranty on this product. I didn't realize this when I purchased this product, and I can't believe a company would only warranty its product for 3 MONTHS! I strongly advise anyone reading this to NOT buy this product - spend a bit more money and get a Sony or really, anything with a year warranty.
    I can't believe Amazon would even partner with KLH given the ridiculously short warranty on this product. I feel totally abused, and even though I'm a lawyer, there's nothing I can do about it - except post here and warn others...

90 day wonder, March 16, 2006
    This product has a 90 day warranty and no wonder. Mine didn't make it 60 days before I had a bad channel. Worse, I couldn't even use it with the bad channel because it would shut itself off when it played.
    The warranty is even stranger in that you return the unit to the store where you purchased it for exchange. Since Target is the only one selling this unit here and their exchange policy is 90 days after shipment, it is the same thing.
    My suggestion for anyone that has purchased this unit is return it now if you have had it less than 90 days. For those that haven't purchased yet, look for something else. I would exclude any KLH products from consideration given their poor warranty. (The only phone number in their Owner's manual is out of service.)

Get what you pay for, January 24, 2006
    You get what you pay for, so don't waste your money. I had mine about a year before one channel went scratchy. The warrantee is 90 days.

3. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Had it, hated it, took it back with in a week of having it. And to think KLH used to be a respectable company.

PS. I feel your pain.
    Seth=L

4. Joe-Frietze

Joe-Frietze Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I got it for even less than that. It was on sale at Best Buy at the time, and it has lasted longer than any of those reviews, so I guess I "won".
    I just thought maybe someone would have an idea about a possible fix. Glad to see it's not an isolated thing. I'll just bear with it until it either dies or I get a new receiver for the living room, migrate that one into the bedroom, and that one into my office.
    Thanks,
    Joe