What's new

popping sound coming from speakers (1 Viewer)

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

My reciever is the onkyo 797 and the problem is that there is a unusual noise coming out of the speakers. It sounds like static. The weird part is this. If I set the sound mode to PL II, I get a noise from the front right. On another setting the sound will come from the sub, and if I'm watching something in 6.1 it only comes from the rear center!!!! It's jumping around and I cant figure out whats causing it.

Thanks for any help

Blair

edit: I've had the reciever for 2 months and it just started 3 days ago.

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
Would need a lot more information to even hazard a guess.

What source are you playing? DVD? TV? Video tape? CD? Does the sound occur on all of these or just some?

What volume are you playing it at? Do you have any tone controls in use? Any loudness buttons? Does the sound occur at all volumes or just loud volumes?

Does it sound like static? Or like popping? Those are two very different things.

Need more info.

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't always happen. The "popping" seems to happen most when i turn the receiver on. It goes away after a bit but comes back occansionally(sp?)I also get it when watching dvds, tv, playing video games etc...

If i turn the volume up , it gets louder.

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really want to guess without hearing the sound.

My Pioneer makes a slight "pop" or "click" when pressing buttons or changing inputs for a minute or so after the unit is turned on. After that, the "pops" go away when changing inputs. My assumption is that this is some sort of digital switching transient and that it is supposed to be muted by some kind of capacitor circuit. My hunch is that it takes a few pops to charge up the capacitors -- but that is really pure speculation on my part.

In any case, the "pops" I get are very mild (not the kind that would be dangerous to speakers). Since they go away on their own a minute or so after the unit is turned on, I really haven't given it much thought. I've seen these switching transients on other microprocessor controlled audio components.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks