"Popping" noise when speaker turns on

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Fletcher, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I have two Definitive Technology BP2000 speakers with built in powered sub woofers. One of them makes "popping" and "crackling" noises when it first turns on. It's a pretty loud and disconcerting pop. After a couple of seconds it goes away and everything sounds fine.

Any ideas what might be wrong with the speaker. I did try swapping the left and right speakers to see if it was a receiver problem, but the noise stayed with the same speaker.

Thanks for your help. Bill

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

So, one of the speakers does it much worse than the other? That sounds like a problem w/ that speaker. The pop sounds like the amp turning on, kind of like when powered subs come out of standby. But there shouldn't be any "crackling" at all.
    You're not getting any "snaps" are you? [​IMG]

3. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

No the only thing that "snapped" was me when I heard it. It sounds a bit like when the subs come out of standby, or go into standby, but louder. And then it "crackles" or maybe making noise that sounds like static is a better description. Is there a particular electronic part I can check? Anyone have this problem before?

Thanks. Bill