Popping noise on Toshiba 57H81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Marlow, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum here and have a question. I bought a Tosh 57H81 HDTV a couple weeks ago. Since I bought it i've had the picture go out on me for a couple seconds after the TV made a popping sound. The screen just goes black and when it comes back everything looks normal. The power light on the front of the set never goes out, so it's not loosing power completely i guess. it only goes out for maybe 4 seconds at most and only does it after the TV has been on for several hours. I would guess it's probably happened 5 times since I bought the TV. anyone ever heard of some problem like this? could it be because it's a new set and maybe the problem will go away on it's own? I'm kinda worried at this point and looking for anwsers because the local repair place for Toshiba said that i'd have to arrange to bring the TV in to their shop. I don't want to because it's so heavy and wasn't easy for the movers to even get it into the house when they did the delivery (and there were 4 of them). Outside of that the picture is very good in all modes, but especially in FULL when watching DVD's. I was also wondering if it could be a power problem with my outlet but I had a tv plugged into the same place before this one and it never happend. It wasn't a projection TV, though. Thanks.

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Matt: since I don't feel like typing much tonight. Here is the down and dirty answer... don't worry. New projection TVs will occasionally make those popping noises when their PJ tubes arc. They will do that initially but then get very seldom and then just go away. If you TV continues to do that a few months from now or if it increases in frequency, then I'd call a repairman. Until then, relax and enjoy your new set!
    Take Care,
    merc
    God Bless America!!!

3. Matt_Marlow

Thanks John! I was hoping it was somewhat normal for these TV's to do that sometimes when they are new. like I said I have never owned a projection tv before this one so it's all new to me. It doesn't seem like it's doing it (the popping noise) any more now than when I first got it. I don't think it did it at all yesterday , so I'm hoping it just gets less and less. Then I can worry about it less and less! Other than that the picture on DVD's is just amazing. I just have a standard DVD player too so I can't imagine how it could be so much better when I can get a progressive scan player that i've been reading about.

4. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

My 42h81 just did this today when i was watching Godfather. The exact way you described it. I've had it almost a week now and this is the first time it's happened to me. Glad to hear this is normal. Thanks for the info.
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

5. Matt_Marlow

I wouldn't worry about it too much because John Morris was absolutely right! it went away on it's own after the first week and a half or so. I have had the TV for around 5 weeks now and it hasn't done it for over 3 weeks, it just stopped completely on it's own and everything seems just fine. Yeah, it was worrisome to me at first, but i've since read other messages at some other forums too about this very thing and it is a normal occurence for projection tv's. Someone posted about how it occasionally causes a problem by tripping a circuit or whatever, but that is rare and it usually doesnt cause trouble and just goes away on it's own. Good luck!

6. scott_freeland

scott_freeland Auditioning

My Hitachi 48" RPTV has been making that noise (I would describe it as a snapping) for 12 years now. It's done it since it was brand new.
    How long does it take to go away?
    -scott

7. Matt_Marlow

Well, I stand corrected! Maybe it doesn't go away. Does the picture go out on your set for a second when that happens? Maybe it's not the same thing. But, if the TV's still working after 12 years it can't be too bad. Of course, take anything I say with a grain of salt since I'm a new RPTV owner and just trying to learn from all the experts who post here and at hometheaterspot.

8. scott_freeland

scott_freeland Auditioning

This TV has 'arced' since it was new. We sent it back for repair after a while and were told that they coulnd't find anything wrong with it.
    It makes a small 'lightning strike' on the screen every time it does it and the sound cuts for 1/2 second, which is wierd because the sound is split off at the amp. No audio is actually sent to the TV set.
    It's done it for 12 years now. The only other thing wrong with it is that the convergance goes whacky every few weeks and you have to perform some 'percussive maintenance' to get it back into alignment.
    -scott