What's new

popping noise from rear speakers - urgent help required!!! (1 Viewer)

shaun_p

Grip
I was recently connecting up my new receiver (Denon AVR2802) and noticed that i was getting a popping noise from the rear speakers if the positive and negative wires touched each other, this is without them actually being connected to the amp!
Is it possible that this could be discharging any static build up in the cable (the cable is laid under the carpet, it's a flat cable but it was an in expensive one).
The rear speakers have made the popping sound once when connected to the amp on powering up.
I am a little reluctant to use the amp too much if there is risk of damaging it or my speakers which are Mirage.
Any ideas ?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
If it didn't happen with your previous receiver, then it might be the 2802. The other thing is try to connect it to a source other than the 2802 and if it continues then it may be inside the speaker.
------------------
ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
DISMEMBERMENT...
Link Removed

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Shaun,
I'm assuming that when you say your speakers aren't connected, you mean that the cables are connected to the speaker but not to the amp, rather than the other way around. If the pops are happening in this manner, then your receiver is obviously ruled out as the cause. Your analysis of static charge is a good place to start. How is the humnidity in the room?
Marty

shaun_p

Grip
speakers are as you suggest.
The humnidity is fine (the british climate never gets very humid) would that cause a problem then?
I have been told that all speakers with build in crossovers would do that, its the capacitors in the crossovers discharging when the wires are shorted but why would it do it when they are connected to the amp. Does this imply that during powering up there is a momentary short at the output to the rear speakers?
What do you think?
Any one else owning a denon avr 2802 or any other denon suffer the same problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks