What's new

Popping noise at power on (1 Viewer)

bimfi

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Bisceglia
I'm pretty sure this has been covered somewhere on this or other forums, so I apologize up front. I had an old (7 years old) Pioneer vsx 1021K receiver that would make a single loud pop noise whenever the receiver was powered on. It was loud annoying, but I got over it. Recently I purchased a replacement receiver, a Sony STR-DN1080. So far it has been great except it also makes a single pop when powered on. I'm guessing that it is not the receiver that is the culprit, but I'm not sure in which direction to start my troubleshooting. Does anyone know if there is a common root cause for this type of phenomenon? I thought that the cause was that the old receiver was just that. "Old". But when the new receiver began exhibiting that same issue, I'm thinking maybe the speakers. Is there some kind of filter device that can be installed that could prevent this type of issue? Just trying out different theories. So, if anyone has experienced this and has gotten it to quit, I would be extremely grateful. If not, I guess I can live with the 5 nanosecond pop experience. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speakers can't reproduce anything that isn't sent to them, which comes from the receiver. You can't filter that out. Probably the only thing you can do is turn down the volume on the receiver before you turn it on. It might or might not make a difference. It depends on where the pop is coming from in the receiver. If something is playing through the receiver when you turn it on, not having anything playing might make a difference. Basically, it's just cheap design. Good receivers don't do that. If you have high sensitivity speakers like Klipsch or Cerwin Vega, they will cause the pop to be louder, but it just shouldn't be there to begin with.

bimfi

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Bisceglia
Thanks for the input. Even with the volume turned down almost all the way, the pop sound is still fairly loud. I will check the settings on the receiver first, then probably live with the small annoyance. thanks, again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The volume level will either influence the volume of the pop, or it won't. It's typically a matter of how the receiver is designed to start up. If it has a soft start, with the pre-amp stage first, then the power amp stage shortly after, there shouldn't be a pop. If it's not designed that way, there's a pop. With better receivers, you'll see and hear it start to power up, then after a few seconds there'll be a click inside the receiver. That's the power amp coming on after everything else has started. Delaying the power amp and giving it a soft start or auto muting until it's on eliminates the pop through the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks