What's new

Popeye the Sailor: Volume 1 (1933-1938) 7/31 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Am I the only one who thinks the colors on the actual animated characters look a little too day-glo saturated on the color stills? The backgrounds look very pretty, though.

Regards,

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For all intent and purposes they probably had that look originally. On a related note, I was kinda surprised how blue Fleischer's Superman looked when watching the Ultra Res versions on the Superman box set for instance.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I received my Popeye DVD the other day and I must say that this set is outstanding. This first volume contains some of the best Popeye shorts ever made, a lot of which I'd never seen before. If there's only one Popeye you'll ever own, then this is it. Luckily, there's more volumes on the way...

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I know alot of people dont like them, but at what volume do the color famous studios popeye will appear ? Volume 3 or is that too soon?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Color Famous Popeyes don't start appearing until 1943 so yeah probably Volume 3.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does the screencap of the Betty Boop/Popeye title card look crooked to you, or do I need new glasses?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just picked up a copy. It looks very much like a Disney Treasures tin, but the metal is considerably thinner (if that is even possible!) Those expecting the same kind of tin used to house the Ultimate Superman Collection will likely be disappointed. For free, I am not complaining, but if you can't find one, you are not really missing out on much IMO. Also, good luck trying to find a tin that is not damaged in some way. I went through every tin in the store and picked out what I thought was the best. When I removed the shrinkwrap and cardboard tray-card back, I discovered that the back of the tin had three dents beneath the card. Finally, FWIW, my Best Buy only had tins in stock, so this edition may not be as limited as their weekly ad suggests.

With all that said, I can't wait to start watching this set tonight!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Someone on Cartoon Research heard a report that some of the shorts are taken from Cartoon Network prints...anyone know anything about this?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Picked up my tin as well. In good condition - a few waves on the front but nothing noticable. Can't wait to start watching. The tin is very much like the Disney Treasures. And I wonder if WB will release the subsequent volumes this way too.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

I think some people love to believe something is wrong, even when everything is right. They aren't happy unless they can find some flaw to moan and piss over. So typical.....So pitiful.

Happily that person on Jerry Beck's website is full of (expletive deleted) and it is Mr. Beck who has clarified the authenticity and greatness of these cartoons, and the whole overall set.

So you need not worry about the false information that person posted on the web.

The truth is that Cartoon Network ran 1" analog transfers done in the '80s from 35mmrelease prints. They later electronically enhanced these masters to try and add original titles cribbed from 16mm collector prints. The only caveat to that is the very last Popeye color cartoons never had the Paramount logos cut off, so those were always intact.

I got mine early this morning and I am over the moon. I never thought I'd see this actually happen, and thank goodness it was done correctly and with obvious great care.

Warner has restored these from nitrate and they look amazing. It is obvious not every cartoon was 100% perfect condition, but they did a great job and used no DVNR. The sound is quite surprising, too. Problems inherent in the nitrate masters from which derivative prints and dupes were made over the years would be visible in transfers many generations away, but there's no denying this is the real deal, just as advertised. I'm loving these.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Roger....the only other thing I noticed that was of any concern is that the Betty Boop/Popeye cartoon that the site showed screenshots of looked crooked...would this have been a mistake when the film was first printed?

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
It's probably still early for this but this has my vote for dvd set of the year so far. I bought this on a whim and I've been watching this way more than 300 or Hot Fuzz. I can't belive how many bonus features they have. Besides all that they are really intresting.

I'm sure some other set will beat it by the end of the year but what a great set for popeye.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I bought the tin today at Best Buy. Usually I don't mess around with tin editions, but I figured that with rough and tough ol' Popeye and his fists of steel, the tin suited the situation pretty well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks