What's new

Popeye (1980)-stretched? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
To my eyes, this film looks vertically stretched on dvd. For example, circles are not round, but oval. Is this due to the widescreen process used, or a mistake during transfer to dvd?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Well, I hope you are wrong because I put this on order today! If you have a DVD drive in your computer you could grab a frame from it. Use VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ Just start the film playing, click pause, then go SNAPSHOT on the VIDEO menue.

It was filmed in Panavision, so only circles in line with the plane of best focus will appear round. Circular objects behind the plane will appear squeezed horizontally, and circles in front of that plane will appear squeezed horizontally.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I know I'm asking the most obvious of questions, but hey, you never know. If you have a widescreen set, did you make sure it was set to 16:9? Or, if you have a standard set, is your DVD player set to 4:3?

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Popeye looks fine on my 65" 16x9 set. It's a very nice anamorphic transfer. I noticed none of the above issues.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

If you´ve a 16:9 TV, choose "16:9" from your DVD-player. Then again, I´m sure you would have noticed this earlier..

Edit: The film also seems to be Anamorphic, so "wide/16:9" is the right option from you TV also (if it would be non-Anamorphic, "wide/16:9"-mode from your WS-TV would just stretch the picture).

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I was watching and thinking is Shelley Duvall really that skinny? or is this picture vertically stretched?;)

But seriously, it looks vertically stretched on mine too, but only a little bit. I also have a WS tv, and my dvd player is correctly set. It's only really noticeable on some scenes though.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have the correct settings on my player. The film looks as it has been squeezed. Olive Oyl only looks to have partial cheeks half of the time, as well as many of the characters. Whenever a person looks through a telescope, the "viewfinder" is stretched vertically. The final shot with Popeye in a circle is also stretched. Lamps have oval bulbs, not round, etc. It was shot in Technovision and I heard that sometimes there were problems with the lenses, but I'm not well read on that particular process.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was just over at DVD Savant's page, and he's pretty well read on these formats, being an editor and all. He didn't see any real issues with this transfer, but he might be able to shed some light on this problem. I'll email him and see what he says.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

G. Erickson is not very "technical" in his reviews, at least when it comes to HT and issues like that. He´s more like a "film reviewer". He´s sometimes listing specs like "flat widescreen" or stuff like that, when you could simply state the aspect ratio and "anamorphic" or "non-anamorphic". ;) But good reviews!

One review states the aspect ratio as "2.17:1" (not sure how it´s measured, though - I hope that without overscan):
http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/popeye/1612/2

You´ll find many reviews from DVDbasen:
http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3...=ok&region=%25

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Well, that's it I'm cancelling the DVD, I'm not willing to risk a dud transfer.

I notice that DVDSavant frequently lists ratios as 2:35 which I always find amusing.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Why is that amusing? Most theatres, regardless of age, are only set for either 2.35:1 or 1.85:1. Savant looks at this from an editor's standpoint, which means that if he's working with material on a Steenbeck (and he definitely has in the pre-Avid age), he's only going to see either 2.35:1 or 2.39:1 on a scope film, unless the studio has taken pains to matte the print and alter the aspect ratio, as MGM did with scope prints of Ben Hur.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

I simply meant the fact 2:35 looks like the time 25 minutes to 3 o'clock, rather than a theatrical aspect ratio.

But I think it was used for the little known TallVision MegaHeight format that was used for a few skyscraper documentaries in the 1970s. :-P

Patrick McCart

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DVDTown always gives the incorrect aspect ratios because they measure what's on the screen instead of the actual image.

I have the DVD and the picture looks normal. It's also exactly 2.35:1. While Paramount made this bare-bones, the a/v is fantastic. Excellent transfer and the 5.1 remix is impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iguanaclerk
Recent bookmarks