Popcorn not popping correctly, need help.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Glenise, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I just tried some Snappy popcorn.
    What am I doing wrong?

I heated the kettle about 10 mins as my popper instructions say.
    I heated the oil about 4 mins.
    I then put in the Snappy popcorn.
    The popcorn is dry but when I start to chew there is a hard something left.
    Basically, my Dad has megapop and when I chew his popcorn, there is nothing left after chewing it.
    I hope I'm making sense.
    Do you think I have a bad batch of popcorn?

Thanks!

2. Phaelon

Phaelon Agent

It sure sounds like bad corn - probably just old and maybe stored for too long in a container that was not airtight. Popcorn pops ebcause the latent moisture inside the kernel heats up, forms steam and burst the shell of the kernel. I'm guessing that if it's stored for too long, some of the residual water content dries up and it doesn't fluff up as much when it pops - seems a lot chewier and harder when you eat it. I've noticed this phenomenon in popcorn that I had in the cupboard for too long (over one year).

3. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a bad batch.

Phaelon,
    Thanks for responding.
    You know I wasn't going to say this but it seems that on the AVSForum I get more responses whenever I post the same message on both forums.
    Maybe it's just my imagination or maybe some users frequent both forums.

4. Phaelon

Phaelon Agent

You're welcome. I used to lurk in AVS but after i acquired a RPTV and prog scan DVD player I just used them and didn't pay attention to much else. Now that I'm finally out of an apartment and into a house again I hvae the luxury of making a real HT room instead of a just making do with the living room. I got no responses here in my speaker placement question but was unable to post my diagram. The weird thign is that I've posted here about ten times and it says I've posted three.

I looked at your pics - looks good but hard to figure out few things. Did you move your screen to the short wall? The "before" pics show it on the long wall. Also.... is your "platform" the assembly on which you placed your seats and if so.... how high did you make the riser to ensure that the back row gets adequate visibility of the screen? My room is roughly 10x20 but I think I can easily fit in a riser in the back in anticipation of adding a second row of seats (I have a double recliner for the primary seating but $$ won't let me duplicate that for the back row).

5. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I looked at your pics - looks good but hard to figure out few things. Did you move your screen to the short wall?

My screen was/is on the short wall before and after it was built.
    My screen is sheetrock.
    It might just be the angle from which I took the picture.
    My room is 12x37 so I didn't have much choice in where to get it installed.
    The other end has a window.
    The last row is 12".
    I wish I could have made some of the risers higher but I was limited by my ceiling tiles.

The "before" pics show it on the long wall. Also.... is your "platform" the assembly on which you placed your seats and if so.... how high did you make the riser to ensure that the back row gets adequate visibility of the screen? My room is roughly 10x20 but I think I can easily fit in a riser in the back in anticipation of adding a second row of seats (I have a double recliner for the primary seating but $$ won't let me duplicate that for the back row).

6. WojtekZ

WojtekZ Extra

Where did you get you corn? There was a recent thread at AVS about people having the exact same problem.

7. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Wojtekz,

I'm known as "pcdoctor" on the AVSForum.