What's new

Popcorn Hour A210: Rolls Royce of a Media Device (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Al, I've had it setup almost all day today, can you think of anything I should test and go through? I mean, media/results, what kind of information are you looking for? I can try and run some tests.

I can say this right up front:

Considerably faster then the A210. The new NMJ V2 is much better then the prior version (which I didn't use, as you noticed above, I ended up using YAMJ) But NMJ V2 works smooth out of the box.

USB3.0 Support is very nice. Gigabit Ethernet is a nice perk. It Absolutely will support and play 4K files (100Mb Data.. so twice as much data as a 1080P File) with no stutter, though I don't think it outputs 4k resolution.

Very impressed so far..

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Al, I've had it setup almost all day today, can you think of anything I should test and go through? I mean, media/results, what kind of information are you looking for?
I didn't check in all weekend. But I'm a naive user anyway, so I don't think I'll have any interesting directions to push the review in. For myself, I'm interested in the un-modded UI, speed (which you already mentioned), and whether it supports DLNA (which does not show up on the site). See, all dull. Also, any experiences using the add-on DVd/Bd component would be interesting; as in, how hard is it to set up, and are there things the player it can/cannot do.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Thank you Matt. I have owned a simple Zino 410 HD which did a great job for what I needed.. hooked up to my home network/server to watch bluray movies that I have stored.

Dell does not sell those anymore and I just assume move onto something else anyway. Last time I looked @ P.Hour's forums there was this long list of angry people asking question after technical question about issues they were having with certain models and for weeks no replies. I immediately got the idea their cust. service was just horrible and a very slow rate at addressing any issues.

I'll have to go look again and see about this new box they just released. Anymore feedback from your experience using it lately would be greatly appreciated and thank you for posting all this. As far as 3D this just plays 3D content from another source like a home server but is not capable of playing actual discs right or bluray's. Getting a new 3D TV tomorrow and I want a new player besides my PS3 for actual discs but this will do just fine for any 3D content on my server it sounds like.

Have you had any experience yet with the MKV3D support? Looks like I may need to allow for an extra Ethernet port when I start all the wiring next week. This is compatible with the Harmony 1100 right.

Thank you

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It works with my Harmony. MKV3D has been kind of hit and miss; I think its such a new standard that it's going to be interesting how it plays out. I think the thing is people want a lot of features, and if you're a real tweaker or if you are OK with it out of the box, you're set. If you want to tune any features individually, it's an uphill climb.

Alex83

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hi Matt, Do you think, A300 worth to pay 60€ (80$) more than A210? thanks

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Alex83

Hi Matt,
Do you think, A300 worth to pay 60€ (80$) more than A210?
thanks

No. I've kind of withheld my review because of a big problem I ran into and I'm trying to sort out (if you follow their forums, it's easy to sort out) which may end up being just specific to my unit. I do like it's much more snappy nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks