What's new

Pop!!!!! (2 Viewers)

Stephen B

Stunt Coordinator
that is the noise that my speakers make every so often when i watch dvd's, i use power dvd, and when i set the sound to direct sound, i get the 3d sound from my sound blaster live value, BUT every so often, i get a annoying pop, if i change it to dolby surround, it dosnt happen, but it dosnt sound as good.
any help would be great
steve

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
That is probably the sound of your SB Live! value card trying to fry your receiver. The Soundblaster engineers misplaced a decimal point on the output and it pumps out 10 times as much juice as it should. It has been known to kill Denon receivers. You should either get a Hoontech doohickey to bring the card output back to spec or else just trash it and get a decent sound card.
However, even some quality cards will cause some pops.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,
That is exactly right. There are two recognized problems of the SBlive cards. One is the problem of them outputting the wrong voltage through spdif. Yes, it has fried some recievers, and yes, it is the most likely cause of the pop/hiccup that you are hearing. If your reciever hasn't been fried already, then you might be lucky. Your reciever can handle that improper voltage. The other problem is that the digital output on SBLive cards is locked at 48,000 kHZ. Everything gets resampled to that. This is a problem when using digital passthru for DTS Music CDs. Although, admittedly, DTS Music CDs is a tiny application for home theater/audio applications. It is important if you have DTS Music CDs and want to play them through your HTPC though.
I have a Diamond Monster MX300 with the digital output MX25 daughter card. Works perfectly under 98SE and ME, but not under 2000. I am holding out for the nForce from nVidia. If it proves to be vaporware, or not as advertised, I am going to look into the Audigy. But you should definitely look into getting a different card if you plan on using your PC for home theater/audio applications. For gaming, it is great, but you have already experienced the short commings of it for HT applications.

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
I previously had a Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer, and now I use the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. My jaw dropped when I heard how much better MP3's sound on the Audiophile card. The Soundblaster cards resample 44.1 KHz to 48 KHz, degrading the sound quality on MP3's. The Soundblaster cards also needlessly resample 48 KHz to 48 KHz, degrading the sound quality for 48 KHz. The Audiophile 2496 is not without some snap, crackles, and pops when changing audio modes, though.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Stephen B

Stunt Coordinator
im currently only using the SBlive value on my computer, for my computer, the only dvd player i have is my computers, so the only thing i have to fry are my altec lansing speakers, im currently in the works to get a proper dvd player.
------------------
I'm Gonna Cook Ya, Then Fu*ken Eat Ya.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
There was a thread about this previously. The solution then was to uninstall Win 2K, then reinstall it from scratch without allowing it to use ACPI and thus preventing it from putting all the PCI hardware on IRQ 9.
I get no pops whatsoever out of my SB Live.
------------------
/Kimmo

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
No idea if your problem is ACPI-related or not... you could check by right-clicking on the "My Computer" icon, choosing properties and finding the Device Manager there. That will (with a little looking) show you if your devices are mostly all on IRQ 9 or not.
On some systems that works great and on others it works... less than great. If they are and you want to try to fix it, the only way to do it is to reinstall with ACPI disabled in your computers BIOS (or by instructing Windows to not use the ACPI features when you install it).
Again, doesn't have to be ACPI related, just the first thing that sprung to mind.
------------------
/Kimmo

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks