What's new

Pop-Ups! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
The last two days I'm getting swamped by Pop-Ups which were not happening earlier this week. I've installed two spybot programs, Microsoft Defender is the recent one I tried. I still keep getting 'em.

Can anybody suggest something they have had success with?

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Since you seem to know when: go back to the day it started. Pick 'show hidden' in search. Look for new files "created". Check properties on everything. You can usually find a part of a file name on at least one of them which will clue you to the download. Then look at the time stamp of the named one, and delete all others with the same time stamp. Often once you've found it you will have to go Safe mode to delete all of the files as soom will be 'in use'.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
If you're using IE, I suggest to do the following:
  • Go to Tools > Internet Properties. Click on Delete Files and Delete Cookies under the General Tab.
  • Under the Privacy Tab click on Advanced.
  • Click on Override automatic cookie handling.
  • Click on Accept under First-party Cookies.
  • Click on Block under Third-party Cookies.
  • Click on Always allow session cookies. Click OK.
  • Click OK under Internet Properties.
  • Go to Tools > Pop-up Blocker > Turn On.
  • Go to Tools > Pop-up Blocker > Pop-up Blocker Settings.
  • Under Filter Level select the High setting.
I assume you have downloaded, updated and scanned using Spybot S&D, Lavasoft AdAware and Microsoft Defender. I would also assume you have updated and scanned with your antivirus program.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Depends on what popups we're talking about. If when browsing then www.privoxy.org is a sure bet for a program to block lots of nastiness on the web. It's not completely brainless to set up but it's not that difficult either, and once you've done it you can surf all but ad-free.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
install firefox, install spywareblaster, make sure messenger service is disabled. and you should be pop-up free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks