Pop-Up Stopper is great! No more Internet pop-up windows!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, May 31, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I've been bothered for awhile by pop-up ads on the Internet. As a result, I've been meaning to look for a program that stops pop-up windows. Well, tonight my local news did a story on Pop-Up Stopper, which is available for free from the following web site:
    http://www.panicware.com/popupstopper.html
    Note that a free version is available from the above link. I downloaded the free version within a few minutes, and it is running now. It works! I immediately went to a few web sites that I know continually give pop-up windows, and they are gone! If you have not found a way to stop pop-up windows, get Pop-Up Stopper!

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Hmm, it's a little to aggressive for me, it doesn't allow me to create/open a new IE windows (File > New > Window). [​IMG]

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I've been using it for a few weeks now and I do like it. It does, at times, prevent new browsers from being opened but that is a small price to pay for being rid of pop ups.
    Bruce

4. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Best one I have found that does not prevent new windows and does allow appropriate pop ups like when you vote on a quiz or something is www.adsgone.com they have a free trial period. I am thinking on possibly purchasing it.

5. RossVTaylor

RossVTaylor Extra

Pop Up Stopper has been on my computers for months. It also stops the annoying X-10 pop-under ads. To open another window, just press the ctrl key or the shift key while clicking on a link (or the open-in-new-window option). I, personally, like the agressiveness as it gives me total selective control over pop up windows.

6. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

I agree that this is one of the best pop-up stoppers. It stops everything! And as stated, all you have to do is hold down clrl or shift when you want a new window to open.
    It allows you to enjoy the internet again!

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I recently installed GuardIE (http://www.guardwall.com) and have been happy with it. I tried a few others before it that didn't do what I wanted at all. This is also quite aggressive, but you can open a new window throught shift or control, turning off the pop-up at anytime through it's toolbar.
    One nice thing with this is that the popups never even appear. Many of these programs will close the window right after the window opens, this one does not.

8. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I really like PopUp Killer but I don't think it's available anymore.

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I tried Popup killer based on recommendations in this forum and thought it was terrible. Didn't do a damn thing.

10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Kudos on Pop-Up Stopper. It is a bit overly aggressive, but as mentioned it does allow you to circumvent it's features simply by using the CTRL or SHIFT keys (doesn't work very well with Javascript links though). You can even temporarily disable Pop-up Stopper whenever necessary just by double-clicking it's icon in the toolbar.

It does the job very well and it doesn't cost anything. That's fine by me.

11. Glen_L

Glen_L Stunt Coordinator

You can open a new window with Popup Stopper running by using the Ctrl-N shortcut.

12. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've been using AdSubtract for a while now. It's nice becuase you're able to set preferences for different servers (e.g. allow popups from certain sites, but not from others). There's also a nice cookie manager in it-couldn't believe how many ended up in there...

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i love popup stopper

14. Curtis Koenig

my favorite is POW from analogx, you have to teach it a bit but then it works really well. Best of all it is free http:\www.analogx.com