What's new

Pop-up killer (1 Viewer)

E

Eric Kahn

What is everyone using to stop web pop-up ads, Pop-up Killer, which I used to have, is defunct, what else is as good?
I am now running windows XP Pro

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I don't get that many pop up, but I have Pop up stopper installed in my CPU if it ever gets out of hand. I don't like that fact that sometimes I want a pop up to happen, and it doesn't.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I run AdSubtract Pro which is not free but I've been quite happy with it for over two years now. It stops most in-page ads (though some of the newer ones are very sneaky) and absolutely all pop-ups. I've got all my usual sites set up with exlusions so that popups work when I need to them to. I also use it to block ALL cookies apart from those I actually need.

Once you've used a similar app, going back to an ad and pop-up infested internet is quite a miserable experience.

E

Eric Kahn

Thanks for the answers
I will have to download one of these and see if I can get it to work

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla. Mozilla.

Did I mention "Mozilla"? :D

It also allows management of which sites are allowed to display pop-ups and which ones aren't.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
As a recent convert to Mozilla, I have to say it has done wonders without having to install a seperate program to keep them nasty pop-ups in there place.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Yes Mozilla's good but Mozilla Firebird(aka the browser that was previously Phoenix) is REALLY good :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Another vote for Mozilla. Not only can you block pop-ups, you can also block cookies and banner ads easily. Best browser on the market.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
popup stopper all the way baby! i've been using it for quite some time now and absolutely luh-ove it!!!

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Head over to http://www.analogx.com and check out POW. This is a completly simple pop up stoper. Infact everything at analogx is completly simple and userfriendly and more importantly free with no strings atached. Just a nice guy that makes software for himself and lets others download it. POW doesnt try to stop popups unless you specify the popups you want to stop. As an example if you put Free* in you kill list all windows with the word free in them would be closed automaticaly. If you decide to try it out email me at [email protected] and ill send you my kill list.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Hey I just wanted to say thanks to the people who recommended Mozilla, its great. I was having trouble using the back button on explorer, it just seemed delayed, and when I switched to Mozilla its now unbelievably fast. I am glad I found it. I had a little trouble getting java and flash to install but its all going now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Jed M, if you like Mozilla, you should try Mozilla Firebird. What version of Mozilla are you on? I would suggest waiting for Mozilla Firebird 0.6 to be out, then grab it and try. The Mozilla Suite will be broken up into individual components very soon, and come Mozilla 1.5, Firebird will be the browser component of the suite. Its a standalone version of the Mozilla browser component and is optimized for speed, simplicity and usability. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i wwent to the moziila.org site. that is somewhat confusing. there are tons of linkified things and the only thing i could find that was for firebird download, was something that is zipped.
when i opened it and clicked the mozillafirebird.exe it wouldnt open anything.
kept saying a .dll was missing.

anyone have a direct link to download an unzipped version of that?

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Tony, I'm not sure why Firebird isn't working for you. But you can download the last version of Mozilla here . To get Firebird to work, you basically download the zip file from here, extract to your hard drive, and just double click on MozillaFirebird.exe. What .dll is it telling you is missing?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
todd i downloaded the first link, that worked and i now have "Hey! You're using an old version of Mozilla. We can really use your help testing Mozilla 1.4 beta. Download it now! Thanks!"

but when i go to the other link and open that zip file. after i click the mozillafirebird.exe i get an error that says..."a required.dll file, XPCOM.DLL, was not found."

i see it in the zipped list but clicking it doesnt do anything.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Interesting...I'll have to check the Firebird forums. You may just want to stick with Mozilla 1.3.1 for now as it was the last stable release of Mozilla. If I run across the fix in the forums I'll post it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks