What's new

Pop-up Campers - any advice? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
We are in the "heavily considering" stage of buying a pop-up camper, but there are several manufactures to choose from and they all appear to be the same with the exception of cosmetics and floorplans. The shortlist so far:

Jayco
Fleetwood
Starcraft
Viking

We are shopping for the smaller 14ft (total length) campers so is there any advice one can give for someone camper shopping? Things to look for to get an idea of the quality? Things to avoid?

Any input is appreciated.
Kevin

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My in laws last summer purchased a Jayco pop up, and it has been in the shop for warranty issues no less than twelve weeks on six or seven different visits. They got the biggest one thought, but I doubt that has any bearing. I don't really know the cost of these, but we stayed in it this year and find there to be not that big of difference in noise level than staying in a tent, but they like it. I want to save up and get a trailer instead in a few years. Good luck with the decision and let us know what you get!

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
If you only go camping about 2-3 times a year, a pop-up is fine. But if you camp more then that, do not get a pop-up as the are nothing but trouble. My brothers and some friends all had theres in for repairs after a short time. Just get a trailer pull behind if your serious about camping.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine and also a cousin twice removed have tent trailers. They both go camping between 8-12 a year with no major problems. They both take care of thier trailers though.

I think that is the key even with a full size trailer, fith wheel. or RV you need to take care of them.

I plan on purchasing one hopefully by next spring. Things we are looking for are as follows

External shower
Awning
Front Storage compartment
Slide-Out. Its amazing houw much more room 2 feet gives you.

We are not really interested in having a toilet in the trailer. I think they just take up space and we tend to camp where they have toilets.

Good luck on your quest. Please let us know what you decide.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
they sell popups with slideouts now?? crazy.

my parents always owned 5th wheels then motorhomes, jayco was always a great RV, fleetwood and their sub brands were more problimatic in my experience. We didn't own a starcraft or viking, nor ever have a popup

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice guys.

I noticed a couple mentioned having problems with their pop-ups. What generally are the problems? The tent lift system? The appliances?

A local dealer has a 2004 Fleetwood he's trying to sell me for $5100. It comes with electric brakes (I think will be important since I am pulling it with a Jeep Wrangler), an awning, fridge/furnace/stove combo, and a bunch of (cheap) interior convenience items.

We'll be camping in the summer months only... I'm guessing 6 times a summer at most. I'll be storing it in the garage so I'm hoping with a little TLC it'll be problem free for the most part.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks