What's new

Poor sound quality in Transformers HD DVD. (1 Viewer)

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi All,

I don't know if this has been reported in a previous thread, but does anyone else think that the sound quality [especially the LFE sounds] in the Transformers HD DVD is poor?

I have the Toshiba A2 [with the new 2.7 firmware update], the Integra 7.8 DTR, and a 46 inch Sony Bravia LCD all hooked up via HDMI. My speakers are Snell mains, center, and surrounds along with my newest addition, the king of all subs, SVS PB 12/Plus 2.

All my other discs, both SD DVD and HD DVD sound amazing with bone crushing bass and sound. Is this a bad disc pressing that I have, or have others also found a similar issue?

By the way, my Toshiba audio settings are HDMI:Auto, SPDIF:PCM and all other settings set to "off" [such as dynamic noise comression, etc].

Thanks as I'm very curious about this!

Mitch

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I think maybe you have to make correction +10dB on subwoofer.. at least I have to make it on XA1 for all hd dvd movies,...

Marek

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha!
Boy, have they! ;-)

Yeah, many, many, many, are displeased/disappointed with the soundtrack.
First, that it wasn't TrueHD & second the lower than normal output.

However, it just won "Best Sound"!!!
Go figure.

If you turn it up, anywhere from 2 to 10 Db's above your regular setting you may be pleased. Dynamic range does not suffer, from the lower mastering; butt this release none the less fails to match or come close too "my" theater experience.

EDitEDbyED:
You can not fairly judge one soundtrack against another from different sources; however what is inbareassing is to play (at "normal" volume) the "Iron Man" trailer.
It BLOWS AWAY the "Transformers" soundtrack (at the same volume level), yet was mastered on the "same" disc!!! :-0

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to know that it's not my equipment! The shame of it is, the visuals are great, but the audio stinks. I was expecting so much more from this disc. How in the world could it have won "Best Sound"?
If there is any HD DVD that should sound phenoemenal, it should be this one!

Mitch

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Mastered at a lower level doesn't necessarily mean *bad* audio. What's wrong with the audio other than it being low?

(Just got the disc yesterday and haven't had a chance to play it yet.)

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Aaron,

The LFE just doesn't have any "punch". It's not just that it's too low. When I play another HD DVD, such as "We Were Soldiers" or "300", my SVS PB 12/Plus2 can actually pressurize my home theater room with the LFE's. I don't get that with Transformers.

Actually, after doing some research on another forum {AVS Forum}, I am finding out that there are many people out there with the same issue. Maybe some of the discs aren't good, and some are. I'm not sure. But I am sure that my disc doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my other HD DVD's or even my SD DVD's. Something's going on and it's very disappointing as I loved the movie in the theater.

Mitch

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
It's the firmware people.

ALLOW the WEF to download.
That's where the cookie is for sound levels APPARENTLY.

Same disc, several players - different cookies = better sound.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

No offense intended to you personally, but if that's the case that's f*cking dumb. So only people with their players hooked up to the Internet can listen to the movie at an acceptable sound level? :rolleyes

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No, that's not the case. Web access will get you firmware version 2.7, which the OP indicates he already has. Whatever the problem is, it has nothing to do with web content.

M.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Just trying to provide solutions mate. Otherwise, be happy with your weak sound.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just got this disc myself. I played it up to the point after the initial attack on the dessert base to check it out. It did sound pretty anemic. I played it on an A35 with audio out via optical bitstream. I did crank up the level on the sub by 10 db. It helped.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not that this fully explains the situation, but you do realize that an optical connection involves a transcoding of the DD+ soundtrack on the Transformers disc, with an attendant loss in sound quality?

The OP is using HDMI; so this factor doesn't apply in his case.

M.

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hey everybody,

I didn't mean for this thread to become so heated! I simply wanted to find out if others were having similar issues as I am. After doing some more research and checking out other forums, such as AVS Forum, I am finding out that their is indeed an issue here for many people with this HD DVD.

It's unfortunate, but not the end of the world. I am going to try to get a copy of the SD DVD and see if it's any different [my understanding is that it is]. The important thing to know is that it's most likely not the equipment or a set up error. There are plenty of great HD DVD's out there that will show off any great system.

It is a shame though that this isn't a better made HD DVD as the movie in the theater [especially in IMAX] was amazing!

Thanks again for all of your input.

Mitch

ReggieW

Screenwriter

I really don't know what the problem is here.

I have never read such a polarizing HT issue as the audio on this disc. EVERY review I've read has given it a perfect audio score across the board. DVDtown, Hi-def digest, Secrets, the list goes on. I guess there must be some kind of conspiracy among reviewers or something. Stacy Spears at "Secrets" has stated that this would be his new reference disc despite the lack of lossless audio. I am more privy to believe that there is a hardware issue afoot here because I can't understand how the audio divide here can possibly be that great.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Apparently, I'm just not "getting" this. Are you and Chris saying that firmware version 2.7 corrects the sound levels?

I think the root cause of my confusion on this issue is what is being referred to as WEF? Chris when you refer to the WEF, is this a Transformer feature or a firmware feature?

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Reggie,

How can it be a hardware issue when I just said that all my other HD DVD's and SD DVD's sound incredible? Now, maybe it's just my disc, perhaps not all discs, but is is possible that there were some bad pressings.

Mitch

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards

I curious about this as well. I do disagree with the concept of the WEF cookies helping correct mistakes as being dumb. I think it is great that, if possible, a mistake can corrected through the net without a replacement disc. There are very few situations where this could help, but it would be a help. The only issue is that anyone without an active net connection to the player will be left in the dust causing inconsistency between experiences.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I think I will steer clear of this title for now until there is an answer why the audio is weak. I was not crazy about the use of DD+ but this is all the excuse I need to postpone the purchase until a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks