What's new

Poor Service with Amazon :( (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
You people read my amazon stinks now thread. Twice they shipped a dvdboxset via UPS with NO PADDING AT ALL! Now they wont even send another replacement probably because it was on sale at the time I ordered. So I think that AMAZON is at fault for poor packaging and UPS for mishandling (which they always seem to do).

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Again, since it was an estimate, Amazon is saying that if your order doesn't arrive by the 9th (Wed), you would have a case that the item has gone missing/lost/stolen and they would send you another copy.

Bruce

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

I understand your situation Lee, but in the case where I really need an item, I always do the 1 or 2 day shipping. There are just too many unforseen variables in the shipping world. As mentioned earlier, amazon gives you an estimate, and no promise or guarantee on shipping methods which are not overnight or 2 day.

As for your comment about Sony, I don't see how this applies to the situation as the complaints about Sony have nothing to do with shipping :eek:

J

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I have just started using Amazon (the US, Canadian and UK branches) in the past six months or so. I have had nothing but excellent service from them. In fact, I had an item that streeted on 1/25, they shipped on 1/24 (and I got an email with the ESTIMATED delivery date of between 1/30 and 2/1). It arrived on 1/26. And unfortunately, Lee, I think that under time constraints, I would have gone with the retailer that could deliver it on time, REGARDLESS of the extra cost to guarantee it. And I think you need to be reminded of the old saying "The only things in life that are guaranteed are death and taxes..."

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I rarely order from Amazon but when I do I get great service. With all the transactions they do not 100% of them can be perfect. If you pay for the cheapest shipping option possible you shouldn't be surprised at a delay.

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with everyone in this thread but the initial poster, this isn't really bad service from Amazon. It is bad service from the USPS. I had to ship 2 packages, it was going to cost me $21 or so via UPS or USPS, but Fedex ground did it for $15. I dropped it off at Fedex on Friday around noon in NY, it is being delivered outside of Boston on Monday.

Amazon only Guarantees one and two day shipping.

"Guarantee Information

* If you choose One Day or Two Day Shipping as your shipping speed and your order contains items eligible for guaranteed accelerated delivery, we guarantee that your items will arrive on or before the delivery dates shown at checkout. This means we will refund shipping fees associated with your items if they are not delivered to their destination on or before those dates.

YOUR ONLY REMEDY UNDER THIS GUARANTEE WILL BE A REFUND OF THE SHIPPING FEES ASSOCIATED WITH THE ITEMS IN YOUR ORDER THAT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR GUARANTEED ACCELERATED DELIVERY."

According to other posters here, if you email them about the delay in the shipping on your current order, they'll most likely refund the shipping on it even though it wasn't guaranteed.

I use the supersaver shipping whenever I order from Amazon. I would have liked to get the speaker bracket I ordered last week, but it isn't coming until Monday. Am I disappointed? Sure, I would have liked to have my center channel speaker mounted on the wall in time for the Super Bowl. But I paid a lot less than I would have locally, Amazon didn't collect sales tax, and there was no shipping charge. When I need instant gratification I go to a retail store, suffer with parking, their sales staff, higher prices and local sales tax--and vow to only shop on the internet.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Mebbe its just a glitch, you know things happen.

Ive always had good service with them and no probs..

Prolly just one time problem..

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
OK, Lee, let's explore the technicalities of your complaint, versus Amazon's published info.

Here's the shipping estimate info:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...743125-7967961

As you can see, their estimate for Standard Shipping (the option which you willingly chose) is "3 to 5 business days". There's even an added caveat stating that "Deliveries to Alaska, Hawaii, P.O. boxes, and APO/FPO addresses may take longer." (That would only apply to you if you have a PO box, of course.)

Anyway...here's how that "3 to 5 business days" part works out:

You ordered the book on Monday, Jan 31. That means:

Tuesday, Feb 1 = ONE business day

Wednesday, Feb 2 = TWO business days

Thursday, Feb 3 = THREE business days

Friday, Feb 4 = FOUR business days

Saturday and Sunday are NOT counted as "business days". Even though most businesses (including many delivery services) operate on Saturdays, this is a universal truth. The definition of "business days" is "non-holiday weekdays", period.

So, today is Monday, February 7, which is the FIFTH business day since you placed your order.

So, according to Amazon's own published info, as of this very minute, your order isn't even yet outside the expected delivery date range for your chosen shipping method. True?

And, this applies ONLY if Amazon's published estimates are based of the total amount of time between when you PLACE YOUR ORDER and when it reaches your hands, which I strongly doubt.

Much more likely is: Many companies define "delivery time" as exactly that -- the time it takes to for an item to be DELIEVERED to the final desination AFTER IT HAS SHIPPED. I don't know for sure how Amazon bases their estimate (but my guess, and supporting evidence, will follow), but, if they use this more lenient definition, then the "3 to 5 business days" would actually start counting from Feb 1, the date the book was shipped.

Using my example above, you can see that that would then make Feb 8 the fifth business day. And, since they requested that you contact them again on Feb 9 if you still haven't received your order by then, I very strongly suspect that this is how they base their estimates (which is very common), and that's how they came up with that date. Apparently they don't consider the order late until then, for the reasons that I just explained.

My suspicion (that this is indeed how they base their delivery estimates) seems to be supported by much of the info on this page :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...743125-7967961

Note this passage in particular:

Now, refer back to the first page I referenced above. If you'll notice, the One- and Two-Day shipping options list delivery estimates of 1 and 2 days (respectively), just like the Standard Shipping option lists "3 to 5 business days" as the estimate. That seems to indicate that those published estimates are, indeed, calculated from the time an item is shipped rather than from the time it is ordered.

So, actually, it's quite probable that, by Amazon's own stated estimates, your order really wouldn't be beyond the estimated delivery date unless you still don't have it by Feb 8. (Even longer if you have a PO box.)

Until then, you do not have a legitimate concern, IMO.

In any event, since Amazon shipped the package out on Feb 1, any holdup (if one even exists) obviously is not with them or their warehouse...it is with the delivery service, in this case the USPS. Still, however, Amazon is ultimately responsible, so, if your order has not arrived by Feb 8, you would want to contact them (as they requested), and I'm sure they will be more than happy to attempt to resolve the matter.

Now, as for what you feel you were "promised" in your confirmation e-mail... I've received a LOT of "order confirmation" and "shipping confirmation" e-mails from Amazon in the many years I've done business with them, and I just scanned back through a few dozen of them. None of them has ever PROMISED any particular delivery date. Some give a range of expected dates, but anytime a SPECIFIC date is given, it is very clearly stated as an ESTIMATED delivery date.

That being the case, I find it doubtful that what you consider a "promise" by Amazon was actually stated as such. You may have INTERPRETED it as a promise, but unless they made an actual explicit guarantee (which I don't think would ever happen with Standard Shipping), it wasn't one. If you took it as such, that's an error on YOUR part.

Even on the webpages referenced above, NOTHING is stated or presented as a guarantee, with the exception of the "Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery" option.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I simply don't see a problem at this point. All other arguments and technicalities aside, what it all really boils down to is that an estimate is exactly that...an estimate. By its very definition, it is nothing more than an approximation. It implies neither a promise nor a guarantee, and certainly should not be assumed as either.

I am sorry, though, that you didn't receive your book in time to use it for the purpose you had intended. When all else is said and done, no matter how much we dissect the semantics, that doesn't help the project you had hoped to get done over the weekend.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I am sympathetic to your situation, however, I do agree with Linda Thompson on this matter. I've ordered from Amazon.com myself and, being the impatient arse that I am, always use 2-day or if I'm really impatient and want it now, next-day delivery. I have had nothing but great service from Amazon and will continue to use them in the future for books and things I can't get locally.

It definitely isn't Amazon's fault if they ended up actually packaging and shipping the item the day (or even the day after) you placed your order. It would now be USPS's fault. And that's why I never use USPS for delivery options because I know it can be a PITA waiting that long for it. ;)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well I am feeling better about things. I received a more polite email from Ben in customer service and they did agree to refund my shipping charges and they also agreed that the delivery service reflects on the business and they would add my feedback to the group that looks at improving delivery.

Here's the thing: it is USPS that has screwed up but they are a subcontractor to Amazon and Amazon is responsible to see they get their work done in a timely fashion.

I also feel strongly that Amazon shipping estimates should be as accurate as possible. If you look at deliver days, then Wed. Feb 9th is a full four days beyond what the expected shipping date was. If this is a normal occurance, then fine but add some language on the shipping page that says something along the lines of "you may expect in some cases it may be a week or two" or "these estimates have historically been 60% (or x%) accurate based on our customer feedback", etc. I would not expect a contractor to be within a penny of an estimate but at least in Georgia they are required to be within a certain range.

I thought I could save some money and even if the shipment slipped a day then I would still get the book on Saturday.

I will never use a USPS shipping option again, but that will take a lot away from Amazon's value proposition of price and deep inventory if the extra $10 makes it equivalent to a Barnes & Noble or Borders price and there I get instant gratification of walking out with a book.

I'll let you know if I get the book today.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Glad to hear that you're feeling better about the situation, and also that Amazon has taken steps to help assure your ultimate satisfaction! IMO, this is typical for them. :)

One thing, though, still puzzles me. You state:

How are you figuring this? And how do you define "expected shipping date"? Are you using that phrase interchangeably with "expected delivery date"?

The item was shipped the very next day after you ordered it...correct?

Please do keep us posted as to when you actually receive your order. Do you plan on keeping the book? Will it still be of use to you, or did your weekend project have a deadline?

Just curious (on all points)...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And if you read the replies, you'd see that Feb. 9th is only 2 days beyond the expected delivery. Again, you are going by your email quote (which is the minimum delivery date) and totally ignoring the REAL delivery dates.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Lee, I am glad to hear that your direct contact with Amazon's customer service was more satisifying. Amazon has been my preferred online source for DVD's for quite some time now, and I have always found their customer service to be excellent -- and I had a couple of situations that were outside of "normal service" where they went "above and beyond" IMO with no hassle on my part.

You have also discovered that if you want something quickly, the USPS is not your best option. I almost always opt for the least expensive shipping option, but I am almost never in a hurry to receive the items I've purchased. I've found that Amazon's "estimates" for delivery, even with USPS, are usually high -- I almost always receive them before their "estimate".

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Perhaps my experience was atypical. I have only accused Amazon of inaccuracy in the expected delivery date. Indeed as Scott says above, I have previously found the estimated date to be conservative, which kind of made me wonder even more why it was not here by Saturday.

It is more directly the USPS fault and they are notorious poor performers. By the way, during the order process it was not immediately clear that USPS was the standard shipping vendor. I think I found that out when they sent me a tracking number.

Still I believe Amazon should be even more conservative. Better to "underpromise (maybe over-estimate delivery date is more accurate) and overdeliver".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But (as you even stated) your case is quite atypical. Since most peoples experience is that they get their packages WAY before the estimated delivery dates, I would say that Amazon is being quite conservative.

I mean, I can not tell you how many times I've picked up my Amazon package (in the mailbox), brought it inside, turned on my computer, and had an email from Amazon stating that my shipment has just shipped...and I ALWAYS use the free (i.e. longest) shipping.

I think it's unfair to ask Amazon to up their estimates because of the few "atypical" cases where peoples local USPS facilities are slow. I mean, I remember a story about a town where the USPS would take over 3 years to deliver letters. Imagine Amazon sending you an estimate of 3 years for delivery, because of this isolated incident. ;)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I don't see it that way Mark. It's customer service 101-Amazon told me I could expect a package on Friday and come Saturday it is still missing. Better for Amazon to say: "We think it will be there Friday, but it may take a week."

Then I would have said "hmm...I better get faster shipping." As far as I recall I was not even notified that the shipping would be thru the USPS. That would have scared me into doing a 2 day shipment.

It's also an issue of accuracy, they should have some way of reporting the historical reliability of each shipment. I bet the USPS does 2 day shipping a lot better than standard.

Don't you agree that Amazon should set reasonable expectations for their customers?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

It does not appear to be my local post office which is very good over the 3 years I have been here. The package tracking indicates the book has not left Kentucky...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Here's something else I think Amazon could do better...this is the response I got from the USPS tracking service roughly two minutes ago. If Amazon had used UPS, I would have received a lot more detail and at least see what city it had made it to. In fact, I have picked up packages before the local route with ground shipping at UPS before and shaved a day off delivery.

Amazon is a huge company and I think they deserve a better delivery partner.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
While I've generally experienced excellent customer service from Amazon, I've also experienced unusually long Amazon shipment times via USPS over the past week from a Campbellsville, KY facility to metro Atlanta (Decatur, GA.)

An order that was shipped 1/31 has not been updated since via USPS tracking. Since this shipment is still within the window of the Amazon estimate, I have no reason to be upset. But, I've always found that estimate to be extremely conservative; past history suggests that packages typically arrive up to a week before the end of the window.

Another order that was shipped from the same facility 2/3 (one of the new Dassin DVD titles released 2/1) has not been updated since via USPS tracking. In the past, a DVD pre-order from Amazon would generally be shipped by its Tuesday release date. Those titles would arrive on Thursday, or Friday at the latest. This general scenario is based on dozens (hundreds?... god forbid) previous orders.

Since the order wasn't even shipped until Thursday, I don't expect it to arrive today at the earliest. But, prior Amazon service suggests that the parcel would have been shipped at least two days earlier.

The other Dassin DVD title released last Tuesday, went into Shipping Soon status on Thursday following release date. I finally received notification that it was accepted at the same Campbellsville, KY facility as the rest of my orders yesterday evening.

Note that both the Dassin titles "usually ship[ped] within 24 hours" last Tuesday. Also note that all these orders shipped via Super Saver shipping, and Amazon has not insinuated that any of these orders should have arrived by now. But it is atypical Amazon service.

This is, of course, just one week in the life of my Amazon account. It does seem a little strange that it all happens the week they announce their new Amazon Prime shipping promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks