Poor Service at Game Retailers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesH, Feb 6, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

This is starting to get ridiculous. Today I took a half hour trip with the intention of buying Guilty Gear XX and preordering Xenosaga.

First stop: Gamestop. On the plus side, they do actually have Guilty Gear in stock, and it isn't marked up over the retail price. They also had a nice looking copy of Puzzle Fighter 2 for $34.99, which I figured I'd ebay to pay for most of GGXX. I then go to preorder Xenosaga(I rarely preorder from these types of stores since I like to avoid paying retail, however I wanted the shirt and the lithograph). Of course, despite a sign next to the register saying "Preorder Xenosaga and get a limited edition T-shirt and lithograph", Gamestop ends up being "out of" the preorder items. I pass on the preorder. Then I ATTEMPT to buy Puzzle Fighter. Of course, despite the case and manual being out on the shelf, the game is nowhere to be found. Two strikes and they're out, I skip on buying Guilty Gear there. As I get about half a block down the shopping center with my fiance, I turn around to see a Gamestop employee in front of the store whistling and yelling that the three of them have accomplished the monumental task of --gasp-- finding the game(maybe the Kakuto Chojin game they were all playing got boring?). I didn't feel like blowing $30+ of ebay profit considering that I'm a not so rich college student, so I reluctantly bought it.

This isn't the first problem I've had with Gamestop either. In fact, less than a month ago, I tried to buy Suikoden and the same thing happened: case on the shelf, no game disk. Phone support is horrendous. Trying to track down a copy of Suikoden 2, I had 3 consecutive stores put me on hold for 5-7 minutes to "go check", then hang up on me. The online game inventory they keep is terrible. I called a store showing "4+" copies of Suikoden 2 in stock, yet they supposedly had none.

Anyways, I then head to a nearby mall to buy Guilty Gear and preorder Xenosaga for the art book. They actually tried to sell me an opened copy of GGXX with about 50 different stickers on the case for full, brand new retail price. Again, no preorder, no GGXX sale.

I then walked down to an indy game store in the mall to see about getting GGXX. I figured they'd have it marked up above retail, and they did, so I didn't buy it there. Laughably, they wanted $54.99 for Kabuki Warriors. The pricing scheme for the vintage games there is even more laughable. It almost seems as if they take already high Ebay prices, and tack on another 20%.

Is it this bad in everyone's area? I really don't think it's too much to ask to expect a new unopened game when paying high retail prices. I also think it's pretty lame to advertise preorder goodies that you don't even have, or have employees who can't even locate a friggin game. My fiance was pretty bummed too, as I think she's looking forward to Xenosaga more than I am, and really wanted the preorder stuff.

It seems like the only decent places anymore are Walmart, Bestbuy, and Circuit City, and it's sad that they give better service than dedicated game stores. I mention Walmart mainly for the no-hassle returns you can get on new games without receipts, great when you get unwanted games as gifts. The BestBuy here is usually pretty good about price matching(plus those $5 coupons), and they also get games in pretty quickly. Circuit City is also good about getting games in by the advertised day, and they've let me bend the rules on a couple of their promotions so they get a thumbs up in my book too. Target on the other hand.....they NEVER have the games they advertise in their Sunday circular. Literally the last 10 times I've gone, they haven't had games on the advertised day, which is usually a few days after the normal street day.

Thoughts? Maybe the stores in Texas just suck. We do have world class pawn shops though.

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

All of your grumblings are common occurances at the EB I work at, but I'm not sure what can be done about most of them.

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I don't know. I'm sure something could be done if the company thought it was much of a problem (most people will accept the fact that discs need to be removed).

The main issues for the stores with a solution like this would be

A) Space. Which is always an issue. Right now our store has enough space in our locked cases, but during Christmas they were insanely full. If we had added even more titles to keep in there it would have been even worse.

B) Keeping Track. Unless those display cases have strings, they're going to be misplaced. Since it's just a display there's no loss to the store of course (except for the cost of the case), but the stores also have no way of keeping track of what games are on display and what aren't. Selling the last copy of a game makes you got look for it, and find it. We'd never ever have to do that otherwise. Plus, having a gutted copy of the game lets the customer know that there is at least one copy available (in most cases). If they were display boxes, you'd probably be in here complaining that they have the game on display even though there are none available.

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Here in the UK, its pretty simple. Either you want to be able to take the game back if its crap, and accept that someone else has probably already done that with your copy, so shop at GAME, or you go to a non-dedicated store (or use the net), where the games stay in the boxes still sealed, but you can't return them.

I do the latter every time.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The local GameStop here is fine. In fact, the people who work there are actually pretty normal (READ: non-fanboys) so you can go in, ask for a game, they get it, sell it to you, and you're on your way. No hassle, no "that game sucks, buy this," and some of them are pretty nice (there's this one pretty good-looking girl there who is actually a gamer, it's quite unusual). They also have that return policy (don't like it, you have a certain amount of time; it breaks, you have, I think, a month).

There are other stores that are always out of games or have very few anyway.

8. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Around here it's not the employees that bother me but some of the other customers in there. Usually I just want to go in get the game and go. Alot of times there's these people who take FOREVER in checking out and ask the clerks like a million questions. There's also these kids who are always bouncing around and often attempting to cut in front of me. However, worst is the people who start talking to me. Call me what you will but I really don't feel like striking up a conversation about how cool Halo is with some 14 year old. Once I was with a buddy of mine and I was buying Ace Combat 4 before we headed off to a movie. We were talking about the party we'd been to the night before and randomly this 10 year old kid just started telling us of this elaborate plan he had to buy a gamecube, bring it to school, and charge kids to play it. He didn't get the hint that we didn't wanna talk to him. I have no idea why he said it to us to as I wasn't even buying a gamecube game. Maybe it's just me but I think the thing I dislike most about game stores are the "gamer" type clientele that go there not to buy things but to congregate or talk to you when you obviously don't want to talk with them. No offense to anyone here if you fit the categories [​IMG]

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I think just like everything in life, it depends on the people involved. My wife and I used to like this specific Gamestop next to our old apartments. Employees were knowledgable, friendly, and quite nice. The guy that ran that Gamestop moved to a new one about 15 miles north and within weeks the place had deteriorated under new management. Fired the good employees, terrible customer service, always making lame excuses for late shipments, etc.

So now we travel 15 miles north to our bud's gamespot and it's even better than before. To give an idea: I was trading in some titles I had just played into the ground including Halo, DOA3, Circus Maximus, and some other lame titles (5 games). Was trying to get enough cash for LOTR:TTT and the total came out to $55. Justin, the owner/mgr tells the guy at the desk to give me an extra $5 per title, so I ended up with $75 credit instead of $55! Got LOTR:TTT and put half down on DOA:XB preorder. Now that's a place you come back to!

So I think you just have to find a store with people you like and go there regiliously (to help them out.)

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah I just bought Unreal Championship for the XBox from EB since they have it on sale for $24.99 - NEW. They had plenty of copies there. But the one that was given to me didn't have the security stickers. When I opened the shrink wrap at home the broken security sticker was stuck on the INSIDE! of the case, behind the instructions and what not. The game seems to be in good shape (very few minor scratches but it's obviously been played) and I haven't had any read errors, but I've half a mind to return it anyway for a NEW copy since that is what I paid for, not a shrink-wrapped used game!

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

My local Gamestop is by far the best place to buy games in my area. I do live in the middle of nowhere though! They actually get games on the day they are released, whereas WalMart or Best Buy can often take a week beyond that date. Plus, the people there know games.

You certainly should expect a new game unless it's clearly marked otherwise!

As for not having something in stock that's advertised, that doesn't bother me at all, it just happens that they run out. I don't expect them to take down the display or something if they don't have it in stock. Doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is people who work at places like Target or WalMart that don't know anything at all & give preposterously bad or incorrect information to people. If you don't know the answer, then don't lie about it. [​IMG] However, that's what you should expect when you shop for games at those types of stores.

{edited grammar error}

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Oh yeah, I just remembered something.

At our local GameStop, a kid was stealing games from the store (he worked there) and then returning them to places like Wal-Mart (since there is one in the same shopping center). He got caught and was fired.

Then, a FuncoLand that's about 20 minutes away (owned by the same parent company as GameStop) had 2 employees shot and killed recently (might have happened in December or early January).

15. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

I'll say this: I won't be visiting the Scootplex anytime soon.

[​IMG]

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I have to chime in some agreement here. I RARELY spend $50 on a game. RARELY. And if I spend that money, I expect to get it in perfect condition, sealed, and in its original plastic. And not have to use Citrusy sticker remover on the game or case. And not pay $55 for it. I do not think this is too much to ask.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Eric-

Why? Because you live in California? [​IMG]

19. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Not to post off-topic, Morgan, but is the Scootplex in Jersey? Too bad there isn't a scootplex backyard screening next week, I'll be in your area on vacation.

20. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Brian & Joseph, that behavior can certainly take place anywhere, you're right. I was just commenting on the positive experiences I've had at my local Gamestop. knock on wood [​IMG]

Joseph, since you mentioned that EGM article, you probably weren't aware that it was written by JoshF. (unless it's another fan-boy article you were referring to) The same HTF member who has posted in this thread.

That Penny Arcade comic reminds me of many years ago when I worked at a Hardee's fast food restaurant. We were required to ask the customer if they wanted fries with their order if they didn't request them. If I had a dollar for every time someone responded "Did I fuckin' ask for any?" I'd be...a couple hundred dollars richer. [​IMG]