Poor Right Click Performance

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Landolfi, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

When right-clicking on folders, everything works as it should. However, when I right-click on hard disks or optical drives (drives with removable storage), it takes a minute or longer before the menu pops up and allows me to explore, check properties, etc. Any idea how this can be improved? Thanks.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Can you try another mouse, and see whether it might be contacts in the mouse?

I was recently having a problem with selecting a file in Windows Explorer, the mouse acted as tho I was double-clicking and opened files when all I wanted was to drag them to another folder.

Replacing a 3 year old cordless mouse cleared that problem up.

3. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

It has nothing to do with your mouse, most likely it is a ram issue.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Windows tends to 'clog up' after a while. I always notice a lag in the right-click context menu in IE after a few weeks.

Best think I've found is to reinstall Windows, but that's a pain you may not want to go through.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

It could be caused by software that has "shell integration". Do you have any software that has added new actions to the right click menus? Whenever you right click, a function in the software is called to figure out what it might be able to do to the item you clicked on and show you the possible actions. That might take longer than it should to complete, and the menu won't appear until it's done. I can see that this might happen every time you right-click on an optical drive icon if the software has to look at what's on the disc.

6. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Good call Wayne that is a likely cause especially if you are low in the Ram department.

7. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for the answers. I hopefully can rule out RAM with 1GB in my system, but you never know. I sometimes go days without a reboot...

I have some mp3-->wav converting software that added some menu items to the right-click menu along with WinZip and WinRar, but that's it. I cleaned up my main hard disk (200GB)as I had a lot of .vob files and disk images that ate up a great deal of space, ran check disk, defragged, dumped internet cache/history, etc. and it looks like something did the trick.

Have a good weekend.