Poor recordings from Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD cable box/DVR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Hahn, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    I have Comcast cable service and just got the Comcast Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 HD cable box/DVR unit. I've recorded several HD programs and have noticed both audio and video problems. Mostly audio drop-outs and digital artifacts with some video drop-outs as well. Quite frankly, I'm not convinced that this records in true high definition at all. The recordings do not look as "crisp" as the live broadcasts. [​IMG]

Anyone else experiencing these problems with this unit?

Does anyone know how I can tell which firmware the unit is using? Can I get updates from Scientific Atlanta or Comcast; or do they update automatically?

2. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

When you are watching live HD broadcast, do you get the same thing? Try having them come out and do a signal test. I had a similar problem before and my signal was very weak causing picture drop out.

Go to Yahho Groups and search for explorer_8000 and join to the listserv. There is a lot of helpful infomation that can be found there.

3. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Thanks for the info on the Yahoo Group Tim. I'll definitely check it out.

I'm still experiencing the aforementioned problems. I did have a tech come out and check my cable box and signal. He said the signal was low but within the "established limits." I don't think the problem is the signal as I do not experience these problems while watching a live HD broadcast. It is only recorded programs that exhibit issues. I think I'm going to ask Comcast to swap out the box and see if that helps.