Poor picture on new 32" Samsung

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RoyB, Oct 17, 2002.

1. RoyB

RoyB Extra

My girlfriend just bought a new 32" direct view flatscreen HDTV-ready Samsung set at Costco. She hooked it up to digital cable and the picture seems quite grainy and "over-processed" compared to my JVC. Even DVD's seem grainier than normal. The picture just doesn't seem crisp and clear. Any ideas??????? Any similar experiences?????

2. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

Have you calibrated it at all yet? Out of the box the Samsungs usually look bad but once you set the contrast, brightness and sharpness it'll look a lot better. Turning off VSM also had a good effect on how everything looked when I had a Samsung (you have to get into the service menu though).

3. Mark_Carpenter

Mark_Carpenter Auditioning

I would say that sharpness is a big factor on picture quality. Out of the box chances are it's at max, you may need to turn it down until you get a good picture. With DVDs i find it looks fine at max settings, but with digital TV i need to turn it down to around half.

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

How does it look through DVD playback?

5. John Gooby

John Gooby Auditioning

I bought the Samsung TXM3281HF at Costco, I had similar problems out of the box. Adjusting the settings in Custom by turning the sharpness, brghtness, and contrast way down. Here are someone else's Avia settings, mine are slightly higher...

Contrast 36
    Brightness 38
    Sharpness 10
    Color 26
    Tint 55/45

Also Turning off SVM helped on some of the shows that seemed "overprocessed".

6. RoyB

RoyB Extra

Thanks for the suggestions...I will definitely adjust the settings and have a look.

How does one turn off the "SVM" or "VSM"? Are they the same thing? Clueless...

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, they're the same: "scan-velocity modulation" or "velocity-scan modulation." And some say "2:3 pulldown" while others say "3:2 pulldown." And I say "to-may-toe" and you say "to-mah-toe." ("Hello, hello, hello/I don't know why you say goodbye, but I say hello." c 1967 John Lennon, Paul McCartney.)

On that set, Roy, one must disable SVM in the service menu.

8. RoyB

RoyB Extra

I know that I had to coerce my TV technician before he'd give me the procedure for accessing my JVC's service menu. Does anyone know the procedure for Samsung??

9. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

TV off--mute-1-8-2-power. make sure you write down ALL the default settings before you mess with them. New Samsungs have the SVM turned down already. I wouldnt mess with the service menu if I were you. If you dont even know how to calibrate it with avia or VE, you are asking for seious trouble.