What's new

Poor picture on new 32" Samsung (1 Viewer)

RoyB

Grip
My girlfriend just bought a new 32" direct view flatscreen HDTV-ready Samsung set at Costco. She hooked it up to digital cable and the picture seems quite grainy and "over-processed" compared to my JVC. Even DVD's seem grainier than normal. The picture just doesn't seem crisp and clear. Any ideas??????? Any similar experiences?????

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
Have you calibrated it at all yet? Out of the box the Samsungs usually look bad but once you set the contrast, brightness and sharpness it'll look a lot better. Turning off VSM also had a good effect on how everything looked when I had a Samsung (you have to get into the service menu though).

Mark_Carpenter

Auditioning
I would say that sharpness is a big factor on picture quality. Out of the box chances are it's at max, you may need to turn it down until you get a good picture. With DVDs i find it looks fine at max settings, but with digital TV i need to turn it down to around half.

John Gooby

Auditioning
I bought the Samsung TXM3281HF at Costco, I had similar problems out of the box. Adjusting the settings in Custom by turning the sharpness, brghtness, and contrast way down. Here are someone else's Avia settings, mine are slightly higher...

Contrast 36
Brightness 38
Sharpness 10
Color 26
Tint 55/45

Also Turning off SVM helped on some of the shows that seemed "overprocessed".

RoyB

Grip
Thanks for the suggestions...I will definitely adjust the settings and have a look.

How does one turn off the "SVM" or "VSM"? Are they the same thing? Clueless...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they're the same: "scan-velocity modulation" or "velocity-scan modulation." And some say "2:3 pulldown" while others say "3:2 pulldown." And I say "to-may-toe" and you say "to-mah-toe." ("Hello, hello, hello/I don't know why you say goodbye, but I say hello." c 1967 John Lennon, Paul McCartney.)

On that set, Roy, one must disable SVM in the service menu.

RoyB

Grip
I know that I had to coerce my TV technician before he'd give me the procedure for accessing my JVC's service menu. Does anyone know the procedure for Samsung??

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
TV off--mute-1-8-2-power. make sure you write down ALL the default settings before you mess with them. New Samsungs have the SVM turned down already. I wouldnt mess with the service menu if I were you. If you dont even know how to calibrate it with avia or VE, you are asking for seious trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks